AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phosguard users need some advice

Registered Member

Default phosguard users need some advice

I just ordered phosguard from kensfish I was wondering did seachem change the directions because on kens website and other websites I found it says to use 250 ml for every 75 gallons and on the bottle it say use 85ml for every 50 gal saltwater or 400l 100 gal of freshwater

Registered Member

Default Re: phosguard users need some advice

I'm thinking about going to go with the 85 ml to 100 gal ratio is that correct that's what the bottle says but I found different directions on some sites just want to make sure appreciate any feedback

I don't think you can use too much but typically with our water changes phosphates are not an issue. Why do you need it?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

I have diatoms I believe a lot of brown alage its a new set up well about 2 months old been getting brown algae on my background figure id give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    I have diatoms I believe a lot of brown alage its a new set up well about 2 months old been getting brown algae on my background figure id give it a try
    Gotcha. To remove silica and phosphates? Couldn't hurt but don't worry diatoms will pass

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Gotcha. To remove silica and phosphates? Couldn't hurt but don't worry diatoms will pass
    Yes to remove silica and phosphates I have silica sand so I guess that's a big cause of the diatoms but I heard it will pass in time but I'm getting impatient lol so I decicded to give it a try do you every use it and what dose do you use thanks

Yes to remove silica and phosphates I have silica sand so I guess that's a big cause of the diatoms but I heard it will pass in time but I'm getting impatient lol so I decicded to give it a try do you every use it and what dose do you use thanks
    I did back when I ran a G6 on my tank. I used that in the cartridge that was designed for the carbon. Now I don't run a thing but bio media. With regular maintenance and wcs it will be gone before you know it. Silica sand doesn't cause ongoing algae problems but can in a new setup. You are probably seeing more new tank syndrome than anything. As your tank matures it will go away but I hear you on the impatience.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I did back when I ran a G6 on my tank. I used that in the cartridge that was designed for the carbon. Now I don't run a thing but bio media. With regular maintenance and wcs it will be gone before you know it. Silica sand doesn't cause ongoing algae problems but can in a new setup. You are probably seeing more new tank syndrome than anything. As your tank matures it will go away but I hear you on the impatience.
    Ok thanks ryan I'm just going to go with what the bottle says it was just confusing with the bottle saying one thing and the website directions saying something else but ill see if it makes any kind of difference for the time being doesn't sound like ill need to use it to long once my tank matures

Ok thanks ryan I'm just going to go with what the bottle says it was just confusing with the bottle saying one thing and the website directions saying something else but ill see if it makes any kind of difference for the time being doesn't sound like ill need to use it to long once my tank matures
    I'd go by whatever the bottle says. I am a big fan of seachem products. They have never done me wrong

Registered Member

It won't hurt to use a bunch. It last's a long time. Use it until it turns brown and then some. In my 75 I used about 3+cups. I do suggest a rinse before you stick in your tank. It does heat up when you first wet it. Seachem used to caution for that do not know if they still do.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    It won't hurt to use a bunch. It last's a long time. Use it until it turns brown and then some. In my 75 I used about 3+cups. I do suggest a rinse before you stick in your tank. It does heat up when you first wet it. Seachem used to caution for that do not know if they still do.
    Ok thanks so you can't over dose it then?but yes it still says on the package may cause heat during initial contact with water

Registered Member

You cannot "overdose" with it.

Registered Member

does it heat up the tank a lot my temp seemed to stay the same but only put the recommended dose in I may put in more next canister cleaning if it doesn't seem like its doing a good enough job but thanks

You cannot "overdose" with it.
    While I agree under any normal, common sense circumstances, they do admit that at lower PH aluminum does dissolve into the water - however at even 3X recommended dosage they were seeing pretty low levels. So IMO you could OD, however the amount you would have to use to cause it would not be practical. Just wanted to toss this out there. Its talking about corals in their study, but I doubt discus would enjoy high Al concentrations either.

"
    Aluminum Oxide, Soluble Aluminum, and Coral Toxicity

In recent years, there has been speculation that aluminum oxide based phosphate removers like PhosGuard™ release aluminum into the water and subsequently damage corals. The evidence to support this claim was largely anecdotal.

So, through a series of controlled experiments in both freshwater and saltwater, we intended to address both the question of aluminum solubility and aluminum toxicity. The results of these experiments show that under reef conditions (pH near 8) there is no detectable soluble aluminum released from alumina. Under conditions of low pH and high dosage levels, soluble aluminum can be released from alumina; at three times the label dosage rate, we detected 0.2 mg/L aluminum at a pH of 5.3.

Additionally, aluminum oxide is not easily absorbed into the cell to cause negative reactions. Even at three times the dose of PhosGuard™, soft-bodied corals such as Sarcophyton remain unaffected.
    "

does it heat up the tank a lot my temp seemed to stay the same but only put the recommended dose in I may put in more next canister cleaning if it doesn't seem like its doing a good enough job but thanks
    It only heats up on initial contact with water, it does not continue to produce heat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast