ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is it Necessary For Metronidazole to Be Used at 92 f (33.3 c)

Default Is it Necessary For Metronidazole to Be Used at 92 f (33.3 c)

Hey All,

I've heard this but this type of heat is also stressful to my Discus. I've done it both ways, with and without increasing heat, and it seems that the heat method also has advantages.

Normally I'll treat every day at about 92 f (33.3 c) for five days, .5 grams per 10 gallons, in a hospital tank, with a HOB filter. 50% water changes every day to every other day and also treat with BH containing Metro.

Can anyone shed some light (not heat) on this one.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Is it Necessary For Metronidazole to Be Used at 92 f (33.3 c)

Hopefully you don't ever get bacterial issues, they'd love that heat.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Filip

On temperature with Metro , I've read articles that Metronidazole is made for human consumption and as such it is most effective on human body temperature of 98 F (36.6 C ).
    Ive also read that Spironucleus Vortens (usual suspect for Hex )and other flagelates and protozoans are less tolerant on higher temps and that a heat treatment of of 35-36 C for a couple of days alone , can kill them without any meds.

Now , I'm not sure if those are facts but I do tend to raise the temp to 32 -33 C when I treat for Hex with Metro .

As for your treat I would only suggest raising the treatment duration for 10 days instead of only 5 and bevare of your water quality because dissolved sugar binders in Meteonidazole along with a temp. Of 33 C is heaven for bacterial outbrakes in a small QT during the treat .
    I would change water daily and maybe go with more than 50 % WC depending on bioload vs. water volume and feedings ratio.
    HTH , Stu and I keep my fingers crossed for success for you and your Hex-ed discus .
    Last edited by Filip; 07-25-2017 at 03:43 AM.

Registered Member

I had some vf a little while back with hth and tried everything. Could not shake it. Finaly just did a 5 day heat treathment(34C) and it cleared up =)

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    I had some vf a little while back with hth and tried everything. Could not shake it. Finaly just did a 5 day heat treathment(34C) and it cleared up =)
    What's a VF and what did you try prior the successfull heat treatment Belkar ?
    Just curious of your experience .

Registered Member

I am crap with vf. Never found out what they were. I bought them from a private person who had them for 5 years. He told me they were from brazil. That is all I know. I tried metro, both in water and in food. I tried esha Hexamita. I tried prazi. Both in food and water. I tried to mix prazi and metro in food. It all seemed to help for a short time then it came back. So everything was perhaps taking it a bit far :P.

I tried posting a few pics of the vf here. To try to figgure out what they were. Ppl seemed to think they were not wilds. But f1 or even f3 crosses. So I have no idea. I think perhaps my shitty saturating lights + old age + sick fish perhaps made it difficult to see.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    I am crap with vf. Never found out what they were. I bought them from a private person who had them for 5 years. He told me they were from brazil. That is all I know. I tried metro, both in water and in food. I tried esha Hexamita. I tried prazi. Both in food and water. I tried to mix prazi and metro in food. It all seemed to help for a short time then it came back. So everything was perhaps taking it a bit far :P.

I tried posting a few pics of the vf here. To try to figgure out what they were. Ppl seemed to think they were not wilds. But f1 or even f3 crosses. So I have no idea. I think perhaps my shitty saturating lights + old age + sick fish perhaps made it difficult to see.
    But what does VF stand for? Meaning what is VF abbreviating?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    But what does VF stand for? Meaning what is VF abbreviating?
    +1 . What is a VF ?

Registered Member

Aha. Brainfart DeLux. It stands for Vilt Fanget. Norwegian for wild cought. So I understand why you would not know that :P. I just read what vf. Not whats a vf. So I just assumed you wanted to know what strain of wilds I had

Real Name
    Eric

Some hex can be cleared without raising temps, but from what I read and personal experience there are strains of hex that are increasingly resistant to Metronidazole and heat is required in addition to a large twice-daily dose.

But like Keith said, increasing temps can be deadly if you miscalculate and it is a bacterial infection instead of flagellate. Further, hex often causes secondary bacterial infections that thrive in the higher temp water.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Some hex can be cleared without raising temps, but from what I read and personal experience there are strains of hex that are increasingly resistant to Metronidazole and heat is required in addition to a large twice-daily dose.

But like Keith said, increasing temps can be deadly if you miscalculate and it is a bacterial infection instead of flagellate. Further, hex often causes secondary bacterial infections that thrive in the higher temp water.
    I'm also treating with Kanamycin Sulfate. The core of the matter is a recurring constipation issue; Blue Diamonds are prone to this unless you're feeding only certain types of foods, so I'm treating for a possible internal infection and might as well treat for Hex as long as I'm at it. I can clear the constipation issue with the fish in a hospital tank using epsom salts, but as it reoccurs more frequently lately I'm trying to figure what else may be a play. So far she's doing well, has passed everything, and is eating well again.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I'm also treating with Kanamycin Sulfate. The core of the matter is a recurring constipation issue; Blue Diamonds are prone to this unless you're feeding only certain types of foods, so I'm treating for a possible internal infection and might as well treat for Hex as long as I'm at it. I can clear the constipation issue with the fish in a hospital tank using epsom salts, but as it reoccurs more frequently lately I'm trying to figure what else may be a play. So far she's doing well, has passed everything, and is eating well again.
    Is she darker than usual? I always thought it was normal for my blue diamonds to have monster poops. Everything else about them behavior wise has been normal. I think I might try the Epsom salts just to see what happens because it can't hurt.