Thread: little help with the return pump

Registered Member
    Real Name
    ahmad

Default little help with the return pump

So i'm currently working on this set up
    three tanks 79 gallon each
    and all tanks are connected together
    so i was wondering how do i determine the return pump power (GPH )

should i multiply 79 by 5 or 79 by 3 ( number of tanks ) by 5 ??
    or there there is any other way of calculations

20170724_214645-1328x747.jpg

and if you have any ideas it's more than welcome

thank you
    Last edited by fostog; 07-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Default Re: little hep with the return pump

Do you mean how to determine gph of your current pump or how to determine what size pump you need for your setup?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Kevin

Are you just going to run a single return line to the top tank and then have a drain line back to the sump from the bottom tank? If so, then you would just multiply 237 gallons by whatever your desired turnover rate is. If you wanted a 5x turnover then you would need a 1,200 gph return pump. With your setup, it's a 237 gallon tank since all 3 tanks are plumbed together.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Are you just going to run a single return line to the top tank and then have a drain line back to the sump from the bottom tank? If so, then you would just multiply 237 gallons by whatever your desired turnover rate is. If you wanted a 5x turnover then you would need a 1,200 gph return pump. With your setup, it's a 237 gallon tank since all 3 tanks are plumbed together.
    You also have to take into consideration your plumbing size, amount of elbows and feet of head. These will all effect the actual gph of the pump. A pump rated for 1200 gph will not output exactly that once you factor in head loss. You also need to be sure to take into consideration what your overflow can handle in gph.

The best route is to get a dc pump so that you can adjust to desired flow rate. For instance I plan on running about 1000 gph but got a pump that is rated for 1500 gph. Once I factor in head in the loss the max output will be closer to the 1000.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    ahmad

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Do you mean how to determine gph of your current pump or how to determine what size pump you need for your setup?
    what is the size pump i need
    and thank you

Registered Member
    Real Name
    ahmad

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    yes i't will go to the top aquarium then the right tank to the bottom one to the sump

and thank you for answering my question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    ahmad

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You also have to take into consideration your plumbing size, amount of elbows and feet of head. These will all effect the actual gph of the pump. A pump rated for 1200 gph will not output exactly that once you factor in head loss. You also need to be sure to take into consideration what your overflow can handle in gph.

The best route is to get a dc pump so that you can adjust to desired flow rate. For instance I plan on running about 1000 gph but got a pump that is rated for 1500 gph. Once I factor in head in the loss the max output will be closer to the 1000.
    yes you'r right but unfortunately i don't have much of choices about the pumps like a DC pump it's no't available in my country so i went with a fountain pump
    which is 1320 GPH
    but i don't think it's the right choice
    https://streamable.com/litjh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    ahmad

20170725_145713-747x1328.jpg

i add this to control the flow but still the pump is 400W which use alot of electricity and i think it's more than i need

BTW what is the best turnover rate for this setup ??

Quote Originally Posted by fostog View Post
    yes you'r right but unfortunately i don't have much of choices about the pumps like a DC pump it's no't available in my country so i went with a fountain pump
    which is 1320 GPH
    but i don't think it's the right choice
    https://streamable.com/litjh
    Ah now I see the pump in the photo. Wow 400w 24/hrs a day would be pricey. No other options as far as aquarium pumps go are available to you?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: little help with the return pump

Hi Ahmad and welcome to Simply. A question on your setup. Have you determine the amount of water which will drain into your sump if you have a power outage or you need to turn the pump off. Your sump seems small in the picture so wonder if it can handle the water volume without overflowing the sump when the pump is off.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Ahmad and welcome to Simply. A question on your setup. Have you determine the amount of water which will drain into your sump if you have a power outage or you need to turn the pump off. Your sump seems small in the picture so wonder if it can handle the water volume without overflowing the sump when the pump is off.
    Pat
    Good call pat. I would also be concerned about the upper tanks potentially flooding the lower tank. OP are your drain lines on the last tank 3/4"?

Just consider them all one tank, so take the total of all three tanks and multiply by your turnover rate. That will tell you what minimum size pump you need.

But as others have said, I would be very concerned about your sump not being able to handle an emergency power outage.

I always design my sumps to hold enough water to break siphon in case of an outage.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I always design my sumps to hold enough water to break siphon in case of an outage.
    I feel for the house/floor/spouse of anyone who doesn't design sumps this way.

I have quiet one 4000 for a 90 gallon tank and it is almost completely choked off to restrict the flow enough. I'd imagine that size or similar pump would be suitable fully open on your system. It is 58W.

A fountain pump might be more likely to use a positive displacement impeller which means it is much less affected by head height. 400W seems like a lot but it may be due to the different pump design

The video you posted shows a reasonable amount of flow. You could have the top tank empty and time how long it takes to fill to determine actual gallons/hr pumping at that head.

Regarding back siphoning on power loss, it looks like the return line will be above the water line? And your intake/outtake of the 2nd and 3rd tanks are level? It'll likely be noisy but there shouldn't be too much back siphoning on power off.

The way I found the safe water level of my sump was:

1. With all the power off fill from the top tank until it fills all the tanks and sump below it to max height (with some safety buffer in your sump).

2. Turn the power on.

3. Once it has settled mark the water level in the sump and never fill past that height.

4. Turn it on and off multiple times to make sure you haven't messed anything up.