ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red Sea Reefer update- Things are turning around...

Default Red Sea Reefer update- Things are turning around...

I am really surprised my reef guy doesn't exit out the back door when he sees me pull in the parking lot. Seriously every week for at least the past three I was in there having him help me figure out what the heck was wrong this week or that week. He is very patient. Thank goodness....

Two weeks ago when things were looking really bad by Thursday when the shop was finally open I was desperate. He took one look at the jar of water in my hand and whipped out all of his test kits without saying a word. Everything tested fine. I was shocked. Either I was testing wrong or the water changes corrected the water quality issues.

I explained the problem of the closed coral and the weird algae and boom! He knew the issue was dinoflagellates. The telltale sign was tiny air bubbles on the ends of the strands. He said they most likely came in on one or more of the corals I brought home from the expo. Coral dip does not get them all apparently. That was when the bottom dropped out- just about that time. He said I could fix it but I would not like the solution. I had to black out the tank for 3 days. No peaking, no light on the sump either. I even taped over the lights on the controllers. How hard was that to live for 3 days and not have a clue what was going on in there? Really, really hard. I did it though and after 3 days off came the covers. I was amazed. It was completely gone. The tank was pristine. Everything looked wonderful and healthy with the exception of my Candy Cane Coral which was odd because it was supposed to be one of the hardiest corals in the tank. It was also sad because it was my very first one. My watermelon Chalice was in pretty bad shape as well but I hear if it even has one tiny mouth left on it, it can come back. Little by little it is. One of the tanks he cares for at a children's museum here had a similar issue and they would not allow him to shut the exhibit down. By the next week he explained if they didn't let him do it they would lose everything. They finally allowed it, he fixed it.

I did end up throwing in some Copepods that feed off some of that bad stuff. They need to be fed as well though so now I have a green bottle of phytoplankton in my fridge that I have to gently stir everyday. One more thing to take care of. I just hope no one tries to use it as a cocktail mixer. Things can get pretty weird with reef.

Another issue...I ended up with 5 Green Chromis and they were out competing my clowns for food. I thought a little school of five would look nice... They looked great but at the expense of the two more timid fish in the tank. So I took two back. Balance has been achieved. At least for now. Casey you were right. They are "poop factories."

So my lesson here... yes Pat, slow waaayyyy down. Also just like discus, know your source. My guy may be more expensive but he is local, I trust him- he has earned it- many times over. I may go to another expo some day but I will just go to browse and leave my money at home. If I see something I have to have I will just have my guy order it for me at his convenience. I must say many of the things I bought there are doing really well. They are gorgeous and were affordable but the emotional price I paid in the long run was too much. Losing anything is a hard lesson. I have been told it will happen and happen a lot in a reef but it doesn't make it any easier. Especially when you lose things due to your own negligence.

Another aspect I had not done well was proper lighting and feeding of the corals. My lighting schedule was not very regular. I was always messing with it. Some of my settings were too low. Another thing the reef guy helped me with for the third time. See what I mean about him being a patient man?

Also I was feeding the fish and the corals that could be spot fed with shrimp were getting fed but I was not putting in the really fine food for the rest of them. I now have some Coral Frenzy that is a powder. A tiny amount 2x a week is all they need but wow, what a difference. I can see them reaching for it. Pretty darn cool...

Ending on a positive note. The tank is clean and the corals are finally showing some good growth going into month five. Knowing what I know now would I have jumped into this hobby? Of course I would, but learning from a new, very dear friend here-I would not jump but tip toe in. Slowly and methodically.
    Here are a few new pics until next time.

P_20170725_154944_BF.jpg
    P_20170725_155100_BF.jpg
    P_20170725_155158_BF (1).jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 07-25-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Default Re: Red Sea Reefer update- Things are turning around...

I'm sure it will be a work in progress for a while. Good thing you are so diligent. Looks great
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Glad things are getting sorted out Jenene and yes, best to go slow with a reef tank. It is looking good.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I'm sure it will be a work in progress for a while. Good thing you are so diligent. Looks great
    Thanks buddy. Always positive encouragement when you know I could use it. Thank you my friend. Hope your crew is doing well. Your last pics looked amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Glad things are getting sorted out Jenene and yes, best to go slow with a reef tank. It is looking good.
    Pat
    Keep telling me Pat and it just may sink in! I need to be hit over the head a few times. Thank you though. I think I am on the right road. I just need to obey the speed limit now.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Happy to see this thread. Looking really good Jenene. I knew you would fix things. Baby steps from here?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Happy to see this thread. Looking really good Jenene. I knew you would fix things. Baby steps from here?
    You got it right Joe! Actually will be standing quite still from here- at least for awhile. Need to let everything get caught up. You are the methodical influence I referenced earlier. Thank you for that!

Things are still looking great in the reef tank.

Pat I am practicing my lessons in patience and the only things I have purchased in the past few weeks are clean up crew. Two tiny Emerald crabs that have already taken care of a good amount of macro algae that was getting annoying. I also threw in a little sea cucumber. It is a filter feeder but it s so small I am not sure if it will actually do any real cleaning. Interesting creature though. They can actually reproduce asexually which it looks like this one is about to do. It is kind of twisting- looks painful actually. I found an interesting article on them but I will not be trying the recipes.

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/2011/...arl/facts2.htm

Cucmber.jpg

I have been monitoring the parameters and the only troublesome one has (phosphates) has dropped to acceptable levels with weekly water changes and I tossed a bag of Sea Chem Phosban into the overflow. It is amazing the change in the tank since I got that under control. Very little new algae growth other than the macro (which I was told is not a terrible thing although annoying) and I am finally seeing some good growth in my corals. Here are a couple of my favorites so far.

This is my crazy Rock Nem. It has doubled in size and reminds me of something from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It closes up if you hand feed it shrimp like a Venus Fly Trap. My other two are doing well but this one is really cool.

Rock Nem 2.jpg

The Elegance is another that has doubled. I brought this one home from the expo. It is really happy where it is. Still hard to photograph with the lighting but it is green and eggplant purple in real life. The tentacles have tiny blue tips.
    Another one that folds up on it's food.

Elegance.jpg

Almost four months in now and I am really happy with it. Near future plans..monitor and let it grow.
    Last edited by Jenene; 08-15-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

It looks great Jenene and so glad things have settled down for you.
    Pat

Thanks so much Pat. Your advice was well received. Thank you for that and the encouragement. I appreciate it.��

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks so much Pat. Your advice was well received. Thank you for that and the encouragement. I appreciate it.��
    You are more then welcome Jenene and keep up the good work.
    Pat

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

It's great to see your reef tank progressing nicely Jenene. Its one thing to be given advise and another to take it, so good job on showing some new found patience

I had a look at the Braised Sea-Cucumber and Shrimp Roe recipe and thought that you might replace the soy sauce with a touch of vegemite?

Keep enjoying your tank and sharing updates.
    Last edited by two utes; 08-15-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    It's great to see your reef tank progressing nicely Jenene. Its one thing to be given advise and another to take it, so good job on showing some new found patience

I had a look at the Braised Sea-Cucumber and Shrimp Roe recipe and thought that you might replace the soy sauce with a touch of vegemite?

Keep enjoying your tank and sharing updates.
    Ha ha ha! Thanks Joe!

You know patience is not a virtue of mine but I am practicing.

Yes, Vegemite may be good in that recipe! I have plenty of it left! Good thinking Joe!