ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrites won't go down

Real Name
    Austin

Default Nitrites won't go down

I have a 30 gal with 3 discus in it right now and i have two running sponge filters that was cycled using pure ammonia from ace hardware. The discus was acting strange so i tested the water 0 ammonia but 5ppm nitrites (purple color) using the API test kit. I added salt to help with the nitrites and do 90% WC for the tank but after 12 hours the tank begins to cloud up. I've also added tetra safe start plus and top fin nitrifying bacteria because it claims to lower nitrites. Any suggestions?

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Nitrites won't go down

Nitrite eating bacteria takes longer to establish than the ammonia eating bacteria, sounds like your tank wasn't quite cycled.

Doing large water changes is definitely the way to go. Are you adding Prime as well? That will detox the ammonia and nitrite, making it safer for the fish.

I might as well ask because it is going to be asked at some point, why 3 fish in a 30? Is this their permanent home or temporary? The minimum number of discus is 5 or 6.

Real Name
    Austin

I am adding prime but im not using the 5x dose it suggest to detox the nitrites because i've heard that prime cannot be used in conjunction with TSS. The discus are 5.5-6 and size wise i think a 30gal is a good size for their permanent home.

Real Name
    Eric

I would air on the side of protecting the discus as opposed to speeding up the cycle. Add the suggested Prime and continue with the 90% water changes.

You will have aggression with just 3 fish, especially when 2 of them pair. 10 gallons a discus is correct, but you need 6 discus. A 55 gallon is the absolute minimum, most prefer a 75 gallon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I agree, the 10gal per discus rule is just a generic guideline, and i feel it is meant to only be considered starting in groups of 6+, so looking at 60gal min and upwards. I wouldn't recommend to put discus in less than 75gal tho. Smaller tanks like 30gal r something u might want to consider only with a proven pair who get along well. the set up u have is very likely to be an issue if used long-term.

I'd recommend daily 100% water changes until the cycle has become established. In ur case, because r tank is small and ur discus r large u may even need 2 wc per day esp if u r still detecting nitrite between wc.

Real Name
    Phil

Austin... 3 is just a bad number for discus and as the others have said your tank is just too small.

You should really double both the number of fish and the tank size if you want success.

Real Name
    Austin

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely take that into consideration. But for now just do 90% WC and dose prime? What about TSS?

Real Name
    Austin

I also want to add that whenever I do 90% WC the water becomes cloudy after a few hours whys that? Anyone know?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I don't know, but I would forget the tss and just do wc with Prime instead to see if it's makes a difference, could be a symptom of uncycled tank??
    Last edited by Kyla; 07-25-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotoss View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely take that into consideration. But for now just do 90% WC and dose prime? What about TSS?
    Don't know much about the tss but I've had good results with seachem stability
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Austin

Possibly the tank is 3 and a half weeks old

Real Name
    Austin

If i keep doing 90% WC will the cycle never complete because the nitrites are never enough for the BB to eat?

Real Name
    Eric

It may slow completion down a little but it will definitely complete. Until you have nitrite eating bacteria established nitrites will quickly accumulate, so this is necessary for your fish.

Real Name
    Austin

Eric, thank you for your reply. I will keep doing 90% WC. Do you happen to know why after I do a WC the water becomes cloudy after a few hrs?

Real Name
    Eric

I wish I could answer that one, its never happened to me. Are you adding ammonia with water changes? If so it might cause a bacteria bloom. Can you post a picture?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast