AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purigen reactors

Default Purigen reactors

I know there are many old threads on this but thought I would start a new one to see who is currently using a purigen reactor and what they are using. I know many use purigen, in bags, in their sumps, canisters and hob's but thought it would be nice to have some info, and show how simple it is, for anyone considering or even never thought of a reactor.

I just set up my first and it was very simple and working like a charm. Granted I have lots of experience in plumbing, electrical, pumps, etc but this is really something anyone can do.

My original plan was to use a submersible pump in my sump to supply reactor then have the output dump into the bubble trap before the return pump. Since my sump is not in use until I can build my stand I figured why not set one up with my canister.

I teed into the return of my eheim pro 4+ 650 and used this valve to throttle flow.

ISTA 2pcs SINGLE Tap connector 16mm Control Valve Quick TAP- HOSEING FILTER Flow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIS3NAU..._7KBt9h61X2mHl

I then plumbed it to this reactor.

AquaMaxx Fr-se GFO Carbon and Biopellet Hang-on Filter Media Reactor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184GF5PQ..._fCixoRFCwzPRx

I filled reactor with 500 ml of purigen. I started canister with valve closed then very slowly opened it to achieve desired flow.

I found this needs to be a slow process. As the purigen rises the smallest beads bounce up off the top of the mass. After a bit of time this rogue beads settle then flow can be increased more. I currently have a micron sock over the outlet until I get it dialed.

This whole thing took me prob 20 mins to setup and tune.

https://youtu.be/Wuovyvqf-Vo

Video must be set to 1080p to clearly see the tumble

Look forward to seeing the rest of yours
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Default Re: Purigen reactors

I use the PhosBan reactor by two little fishys. Essential the same thing as yours.
    I run it with a small powerhead and a valve on it to regulate flow.

You are correct, they have to be really fine tuned. Too much flow and you blow the beads into the sump/tank and its a mess. Too little and you don't get the suspension.

But it is well worth the effort.
    1. provides much more exposure to the beads when suspended.
    2. You can run a lot of Purigen.
    3. Very easy to service the unit.

My next reactor is going to be one of these
    http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ps...?sort=4&page=1

Registered Member

I use Eheim 2211 canister filter. Works like a charm and setting it up is obviously a breeze.

Silver Member

i use a kent reactor teed off my 2232 eheim canister filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I use the PhosBan reactor by two little fishys. Essential the same thing as yours.
    I run it with a small powerhead and a valve on it to regulate flow.

You are correct, they have to be really fine tuned. Too much flow and you blow the beads into the sump/tank and its a mess. Too little and you don't get the suspension.

But it is well worth the effort.
    1. provides much more exposure to the beads when suspended.
    2. You can run a lot of Purigen.
    3. Very easy to service the unit.

My next reactor is going to be one of these
    http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/ps...?sort=4&page=1
    It's deceiving how much you can run compared to size of the reactor. I am running 500ml in a 2l reactor and That's probably the max. With less I could probably have more flow but I guess all that matters is to keep it fluidized

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by abla1958 View Post
    I use Eheim 2211 canister filter. Works like a charm and setting it up is obviously a breeze.
    Do you restrict the flow?

Real Name
    Eric

What is the approximate flow you guys are using? I just want to see if my current pumps are in the right range...

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    What is the approximate flow you guys are using? I just want to see if my current pumps are in the right range...
    I'm really not sure but it's very slow. The purigen is very very light. I have the ball valve cracked maybe 1/4 open

I searched and searched the internet and could never find a required flow rate

Silver Member

i would guess maybe 20 to 50 gph.. nothing more than that. since i am tapping off of an existing filter, its hard to judge the gph.. its more of a how it flows in the reactor.

Registered Member

In most cases it is less than 35-40 gallons per hour. I used a lifegard fluidized bed filter and put panty hose over the output side. My pump was a aquarium systems 404 pump. it takes very little to get it to suspend. I must state that the filter was barely open it had a very restricted flow. purigen is very light. If you had a bigger vessel then you may be able to run higher flow rates. but what you are after is contact time not speed.
    Last edited by pitdogg2; 07-26-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Registered Member

I used to use an aquatop 20 reactor and it worked well. I modded the inside with poret foam at the top to keep purigen in. The problem for me was the maintenance. Getting the stuff out, recharging it, rinsing it, etc. Way too much of a hassle. I just rigged up the intake of my magdrive pump with an old micron filter from a HOT Magnum and get the same water clarity results.

This is my diy reactor.

First try made out of 125 mm OD pvc glass for the body and standard pvc for the bottom and top. Most of the plumbing is still dry fitted. Glass pvc body is 50 cm, total size of the unit is 66 cm tall not counting the plumbing. It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor, only controlled with the true union ball valve. As you can see flow through is pretty good.

It has been running non stop for almost two months now with absolutely no issues.

Last edited by 100fuegos; 07-26-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    This is my diy reactor. Details in video description in YouTube.

https://youtu.be/kQ3rMsOEnRc
    Nice job. That's what I was hoping to see was different ways of achieving the same goal

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    This is my diy reactor.

First try made out of 125 mm OD pvc glass for the body and standard pvc for the bottom and top. Most of the plumbing is still dry fitted. Glass pvc body is 50 cm, total size of the unit is 66 cm tall not counting the plumbing. It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor, only controlled with the true union ball valve. As you can see flow through is pretty good.

It has been running non stop for almost two months now with absolutely no issues.

Wow nice job, I don't have anything close to that flow rate through mine!

Can you start a thread with parts list and a how to? Looks like better, easier, cheaper than the one I'm planning to build.

Registered Member

More about the "macropore" i get nothing but soil stuff when googled.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast