ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Purigen reactors

Registered Member

Default Re: Purigen reactors

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I'm going to have to start paying attention to the sinking! I assumed the lower level of the beads was due to reduced flow as the filter floss plugged up over time.
    it could also be that I never used any floss

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    ya the panty hose deal, Nothing better than walking into the Walgren's and buying 10 pairs when they have their 50% sale!
    yep buying a box of knee highs got me some looks let me tell you

Hello all..... I am currently setting up a 125 gallon again and will be using an FX6. I also want to utilize a rena filstar filter with a Turbo twist UV filter on the return line, which I already have set up on my old tank.. Could I add a phosban 150 filled with purigen to the return line of the turbo twist? So it would be water goes into Rena -> then UV -> then reactor? Is that the right order? And could I reduce the water flow by stuffing the filstar with foam/floss? The rena is an XP2 for 75gallon tanks and the flow is listed at 300gph which I assume is before anything is in the canister... I have another same size filstar that I could use if it would make more sense to not have the uv as part of the equation. Am I on the right path here? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Real Name
    Eric

Which turbo twist do you have. I think the flow rate for the purigen reactor would be much less than the UV filter, so combining them inline would reduce the effectiveness of the other. My purigen reactor gets 50 gph max. My turbo twist 12x can kill everything (bacteria, algae, parasites) at 600 gph.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYJIZAY View Post
    Hello all..... I am currently setting up a 125 gallon again and will be using an FX6. I also want to utilize a rena filstar filter with a Turbo twist UV filter on the return line, which I already have set up on my old tank.. Could I add a phosban 150 filled with purigen to the return line of the turbo twist? So it would be water goes into Rena -> then UV -> then reactor? Is that the right order? And could I reduce the water flow by stuffing the filstar with foam/floss? The rena is an XP2 for 75gallon tanks and the flow is listed at 300gph which I assume is before anything is in the canister... I have another same size filstar that I could use if it would make more sense to not have the uv as part of the equation. Am I on the right path here? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    I would say you need to tee off the line. Purigen needs a very slow flow rate because it's so light. If you run full flow of your canister through it you will end up with a tank full of purigen. I just added in a tee with a ball valve to the reactor. It has its own return to the display tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

I have the 3x. Guess I will just leave the uv with the rena. I'll use the other rena with the reactor, but What does tee off the line mean?

I have the 3x. Guess I will just leave the uv with the rena. I'll use the other rena with the reactor, but What does tee off the line mean?
    Put a tee in your return line after the filter to supply the reactor so you can control flow to it. That way you have the majority of the flow going to the display and only a very small amount of flow through the reactor. You definitely want a valve after that tee for adjustment.

This is what I use

ISTA 2pcs SINGLE Tap connector 16mm Control Valve Quick TAP- HOSEING FILTER Flow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SIS3NAU..._vrgjAbH3JH32R

Why can I not find a tee online? I’ve tried Petsolutions Drs Foster Petsmart Petco Petland.... Can someone give me a link? I don’t even know what I am looking for basically. I understand getting the valve which Ryan posted but where do I get a tee? Excuse my ignorance 😫

Why can I not find a tee online? I’ve tried Petsolutions Drs Foster Petsmart Petco Petland.... Can someone give me a link? I don’t even know what I am looking for basically. I understand getting the valve which Ryan posted but where do I get a tee? Excuse my ignorance ��
    Depending on your tubing size... I just got a 1/2" barbed tee at home depot. I use hose clamps with it just to be safe

It's grey plastic.

Ok so I used my Rena Filstar XP M filter which has a flow rate of 280 gph. I teed the return and have it flowing into a turbo twist 3 (recommended flow through this is 100 to 200 gph) and the other return going into a phosban reactor 150. I have a valve on the line going into the reactor and it’s cracked about a quarter open. I’ve got 350ml of Purigen in there and it’s tumbling beautifully, it looks like slow motion. Like a lava lamp kinda. This is on a new tank I just set up so I can’t speak to it’s efficiency yet but I’ve kept purigen bags in my canister filters for years so I will be able to at least determine how fast it expires now vs my old way. This is a link showing the almost final version of the plumbing set up https://instagram.com/p/BdCTI3onJlU/

And this is a link to showing the purigen in all its glory. https://instagram.com/p/BdD2vjuH2np/

Hopefully links to IG work. Thank you so much for this post and your help guys! I am excited for how this will become a staple in my set up.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345