AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Purigen reactors

Default Re: Purigen reactors

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Wow nice job, I don't have anything close to that flow rate through mine!

Can you start a thread with parts list and a how to? Looks like better, easier, cheaper than the one I'm planning to build.
    US plastics sells clear pvc pipe and fittings of various sizes
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    More about the "macropore" i get nothing but soil stuff when googled.
    http://auburnaquarium.com.au/product.php?id_product=795

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    It is running with two liters of Macropore (pretty much the same stuff as Purigen at a fraction of the cost). Nothing is holding the resin inside the reactor.

Maybe Macropore is cheaper in Spain than Purigen. The link provided by Neptune shows it considerable more than I paid for 2L of Purigen. 2L of purigen here is less than 100 dollars U.S.
    I bought Purigen from Pet Mountian for 65$ for 2 Liter on sale last year. Makes one wonder who the actual maker is and how it can be bought from them and cut out the middle man.

Unfortunately Macropore is restricted to Australia, I bought it there and brought it with me in my holliday trip to Sydney so that pretty much rule it out. You can see it here, price is in AUD.

My reactor is pretty simple and cheap, the most expensive part by far is the 125 mm OD clear PVC tube, the rest is standard PVC fittings. Initially I was planning to build two but I do not see the need for the second one now.

Registered Member

Very nice and cheap as you stated. It must be different than purigen. Purigen will not recharge with salt alone. That seems to be more in line with pura nitrate removing resin. It also recharges with salt.

Yes i have tried to recharge purigen in a brine instead of bleach it did nothing.

Real Name
    Eric

Got mine setup today. Not a great video, I was trying to show the flow put its hard to see. It is currently operating at 30 gph and has 500ml of purigen. I am hoping that I can bump up the flow once the beads get heavier, this is brand new purigen. I significant portion is pressed up against the top (about half).

I have not noticed the Purigen getting heavier over time. I always have a certain percent that seems a little lighter than the rest of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Got mine setup today. Not a great video, I was trying to show the flow put its hard to see. It is currently operating at 30 gph and has 500ml of purigen. I am hoping that I can bump up the flow once the beads get heavier, this is brand new purigen. I significant portion is pressed up against the top (about half).

Simple right!! I notice that after they get saturated you have less of the tiny ones flying around. I run it so the top of the mass is like a quarter inch or less below the top the sponge now.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Simple right!! I notice that after they get saturated you have less of the tiny ones flying around. I run it so the top of the mass is like a quarter inch or less below the top the sponge now.
    It wasn't bad at all. I would have to run 10 gph at this point to achieve that level of suspension, but hopefully I will be able to bump it up over time. I wish Seachem made a larger size Purigen bead

Did you add more sponges in there?

Real Name
    Eric

Yeah, I used some filter floss at the top to prevent the beads from blowing into my sump

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I have not noticed the Purigen getting heavier over time. I always have a certain percent that seems a little lighter than the rest of the material.
    It does get heavier as it loads with organics. You are correct that they're some tiny beads as well. I would let those run through to the panty hose over the output of the lifegard 300 fluidized bed i used. I ran 1 liter of purigen in the filter and just tossed the tiny beads as they could be a pita at times.

I just use it in bags in my canister, and in some HOBs for my other smaller tanks. I have also noticed there is usually some percentage of smaller, lighter beads. They float off when I recharge the Purigen.

I am wondering what sort of benefits you guys running these reactors are seeing, besides the obvious better contact - do you notice it wears out faster, can you see measurable differences in your water? I ask because I love the idea but notice that while in my HOBs I need to rotate it every now and then, in the canisters I see very even color change which at least makes me feel its getting good flow and working well

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    I just use it in bags in my canister, and in some HOBs for my other smaller tanks. I have also noticed there is usually some percentage of smaller, lighter beads. They float off when I recharge the Purigen.

I am wondering what sort of benefits you guys running these reactors are seeing, besides the obvious better contact - do you notice it wears out faster, can you see measurable differences in your water? I ask because I love the idea but notice that while in my HOBs I need to rotate it every now and then, in the canisters I see very even color change which at least makes me feel its getting good flow and working well
    Too new to tell so far. I have to imagine it's far more efficient than bags as every surface area of every bead has contact with the water. I usually see that the beads in the center of a bag, in a canister, show less

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    It does get heavier as it loads with organics. You are correct that they're some tiny beads as well. I would let those run through to the panty hose over the output of the lifegard 300 fluidized bed i used. I ran 1 liter of purigen in the filter and just tossed the tiny beads as they could be a pita at times.
    That makes sense!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast