ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Purigen reactors

Default Re: Purigen reactors

This has been a great thread Ryan, Thank you. Not only about the reactor but the Purigen as well. I just use a almost liter of it at a time in a bag floating above my media with an air stone tumbling it a bit. It seems to work really well but a reactor might be the next step for me. Wondering what your next project will be? It's always something useful!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    This has been a great thread Ryan, Thank you. Not only about the reactor but the Purigen as well. I just use a almost liter of it at a time in a bag floating above my media with an air stone tumbling it a bit. It seems to work really well but a reactor might be the next step for me. Wondering what your next project will be? It's always something useful!
    I agree this thread has turned out as intended. Have gotten lots of great into, not only on how others are using the puritan, but also on purigen itself.

My hopes were to show others how simple this could be. I had this in the plans for sometime and once I finally did the installation I realized I was way overthinking it. We even had Eric converted within a couple days of this thread
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Kevin

I just set up a purigen reactor this evening using a phosban 150. I'll post an update in a few days once I see any results.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    I just set up a purigen reactor this evening using a phosban 150. I'll post an update in a few days once I see any results.
    That's what I use, they work great. But I do add extra filter material on the top and bottom to help keep the lighter beads from getting into the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    That's what I use, they work great. But I do add extra filter material on the top and bottom to help keep the lighter beads from getting into the sump.
    Not a bad idea to put "the bag" over the outlet until those beads start to get weighed down a bit

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Not a bad idea to put "the bag" over the outlet until those beads start to get weighed down a bit
    You know the last thread we had on this subject a member posted a link to polyester fine screen he used. IIRC he cut it to size or came the correct size and screen holes were perfect. Be worth a search to see if it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    You know the last thread we had on this subject a member posted a link to polyester fine screen he used. IIRC he cut it to size or came the correct size and screen holes were perfect. Be worth a search to see if it comes up.
    I do recall something about that. I had all sorts of plans in mind for that but found I was way overthinking it. It's just about dialing in flow rate. I put a micron sock over outlet during the break in and tuning phase but now I run the reactor just as it came

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I use one of those plastic screened coffee filters clipped to side of sump to catch any loose purigen coming from the reactor output hose. Also use micron 250 mesh cut to same size as the sponges sandwich in between the two to keep the beads contained in the reactor.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I used some of this material between the sponge and the dispersion plate. Haven't lost a single bead as of yet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This pump turned down to about 80% worked perfectly for me as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Real Name
    Eric

I used polyfill which I also use in my canisters. Cheap, easy, and disposable.

Registered Member

I do recall something about that. I had all sorts of plans in mind for that but found I was way overthinking it. It's just about dialing in flow rate. I put a micron sock over outlet during the break in and tuning phase but now I run the reactor just as it came
    Yep i just thought I'd toss it out there. It was worth a mention.

After a few recharge's all the smalls for me are gone I pour them off or they get caught by the panty hose and tossed.

Yep i just thought I'd toss it out there. It was worth a mention.

After a few recharge's all the smalls for me are gone I pour them off or they get caught by the panty hose and tossed.
    I noticed today that the purigen still seems to be getting heavier. I can run much more flow than when I initially set up

Registered Member

I noticed today that the purigen still seems to be getting heavier. I can run much more flow than when I initially set up
    Yep it does just do not forget to back it down after the recharge. I can't tell hiw many time that happened to me. Thank god for the panty hose

Yep it does just do not forget to back it down after the recharge. I can't tell hiw many time that happened to me. Thank god for the panty hose
    I'm going to have to start paying attention to the sinking! I assumed the lower level of the beads was due to reduced flow as the filter floss plugged up over time.

ya the panty hose deal, Nothing better than walking into the Walgren's and buying 10 pairs when they have their 50% sale!

Great advice. I would like to think I would have thought of that on my own but I doubt it lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast