AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hi everyone. From South Africa

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Default Hi everyone. From South Africa

Hello SD

Joined about 2 weeks back and been browsing lightly through a lot of the threads and thought its time to introduce myself.
    My name is Dane, I'm currently a student at varsity. I live in Johannesburg in South Africa and have been keeping fish since i was six years old.

Currently have a 100 litre high tech planted and a small 16 litre shrimp tank. Recently sold my 300 litre and 250 litre to raise funds so I can do a discus aquarium!! Ever since i first discovered discus ive wanted to keep them and have done research on them on and off for close to 3 years now. Still feel very unsure about a lot but hopefully with SD i should be all good!!

Will start a thread for my discus journey once i can start building the setup.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Hi everyone. From South Africa

Hi Dane, welcome to SD. Sounds like you have been bitten by "DAD" this is what I refer to as the "Discus Addiction Disease" Trust me, we're all members of your disease support group, we are all addicted too.

Anyway I am looking forward to your journey, keep in mind that this is the place where you can ask your questions and get lots of different answers so don't always take one person's advice/methods as facts. The biggest advice I can give you now is to start simple, start bare bottom, and start with adults discus.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Hi Dane, welcome to SD. Sounds like you have been bitten by "DAD" this is what I refer to as the "Discus Addiction Disease" Trust me, we're all members of your disease support group, we are all addicted too.

Anyway I am looking forward to your journey, keep in mind that this is the place where you can ask your questions and get lots of different answers so don't always take one person's advice/methods as facts. The biggest advice I can give you now is to start simple, start bare bottom, and start with adults discus.
    Thanks will take all responses i get into consideration when making any decisions. With regards to what type and size I'm getting, I might have to just do the best i can with what is available, not much here in South Africa. I'm considering importing some from Indonesia, a local dealer here brings in a multitude of different fish, discus being one of them so we will see.

Definitely going bb. Its going to be a 250 litre tank setup with sump. Looking at incorporating an algae scrubber into the design too. Love designing and building the setups so incorporating those sorts of things are fun for me

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome!

Real Name
    Matt

Welcome Dane! Looking forward to reading your upcoming thread on your journey.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Scott

Welcome to Simply Discus! I too just started discus keeping a month ago and learned alot from the guys and gals here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they're alot of knowledgeable and nice people here to help you along the way.

Real Name
    Sean

Hi Dane. Welcome to our little discus party

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Thanks everyone!!! Cant wait to be a part of the discus community here!!

I will try keep things updated as much as possible.

This past weekend i had a spare bit of time so i did some work on building the sump. So i will start the thread this weekend for the build and begin posting photos

Welcome Dane, You have found the most amazing source for all things discus. Yes, you will get many different views of how to do things. Pick out what you can use and run with it. Enjoy the journey. It may take you places you had never imagined. I am just coming on my one year anniversary of opening my first shipment of discus after a lot of research here and help cycling the tank. Not only do I have a tank of healthy happy discus but many new friends sprinkled all over the world. Some of them I consider to be like family. We are really a big family here. Jump in and join us. We have fun and support each other- most of the time. You may even find yourself on an unexpected tangent. There is a Marine thread here and I now have a reef tank too! Everything happens for a reason. One step at a time. Welcome, ask questions, read all the stickies in each section that you can and finally choose your supplier very carefully. You will do well and enjoy the hobby with a few simple guidelines you will find here.

Keep is updated and yes, start a new thread so we can follow along with you!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...iscus-Aquarium!

here is the link to my journal if anyone is interested