ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What are the chances

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Angry What are the chances

I am supposed to be loading up my car for vacation and my angelfish rather suddenly began to drop dead. No outward signs of problems other than a few wounds they've been giving each other in their normal battles. All other fish are fine. Lights came on as usual and all accounted for. Did some work on computer and one fish dead. Scratched my head and remove him. Did some more work on computer and another one dying. Just did a massive water change and cleaned filter but I'm heading out in 20 minutes. Hopefully, I won't come home on Monday to a dead tank.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: What are the chances

Did you test the water? What are your levels?

What did you do new or different if anything?

Best to retrace steps and see, but I would test that water...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Did you test the water? What are your levels?

What did you do new or different if anything?

Best to retrace steps and see, but I would test that water...
    Now that I am back and have time to check...my best guess is it was a nitrate spike. Introduced 5 cory's and 5 octo's to my 75 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago. This tank is heavily planted so I don't think too much of it when new fish aren't visible. I have a feeling the octo's and possibly the cory's too, died and simply were never found. So much for mail order. I certainly didn't see any of the new fish yesterday. On the bright side, no further deaths in my absence.

Were the cories and ottos quarantined? A nitrate spike seems a bit unlikely considering the size of the tank and the relatively low bioload of the newly introduced fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Were the cories and ottos quarantined? A nitrate spike seems a bit unlikely considering the size of the tank and the relatively low bioload of the newly introduced fish.
    Think she meant from them all dying. I think if anything ammonia spike would be more likely
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Think she meant from them all dying. I think if anything ammonia spike would be more likely
    Quite possibly ammonia. All parameters are fine now though there is still about 5ppm nitrate which is very unusual for this tank. Today is water change day anyway so I'll attempt to check under the driftwood for bodies. Since this tank is roughly 15 years old I'd think any ammonia would be broken down very quickly. That and there is very little bio-load. I just assumed nitrate since that is the only reading I've got right now. Of course, since it is an old dirt bottom tank there could be all kinds of gaseous goodies in the lower levels of the soil. Perhaps the cory's dislodged something. Also seems strange that only the angels were affected.

Stock left is 2 angelfish, 4 flagfish, a dozen endler's, and maybe a cory or 2 in a 75 gallon tank. I don't see any octo's anywhere and I don't see any cory's. Unfortunately, I did not quarantine. My normal methods are to put the little things in first, then add whatever my "prize/show" fish will be. Ah well. Took a chance and paid with a 7 year old fish along with a 3 year old.
    Last edited by Bethzb; 08-02-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    Quite possibly ammonia. All parameters are fine now though there is still about 5ppm nitrate which is very unusual for this tank. Today is water change day anyway so I'll attempt to check under the driftwood for bodies. Since this tank is roughly 15 years old I'd think any ammonia would be broken down very quickly. That and there is very little bio-load. I just assumed nitrate since that is the only reading I've got right now. Of course, since it is an old dirt bottom tank there could be all kinds of gaseous goodies in the lower levels of the soil. Perhaps the cory's dislodged something. Also seems strange that only the angels were affected.

Stock left is 2 angelfish, 4 flagfish, a dozen endler's, and maybe a cory or 2 in a 75 gallon tank. I don't see any octo's anywhere and I don't see any cory's. Unfortunately, I did not quarantine. My normal methods are to put the little things in first, then add whatever my "prize/show" fish will be. Ah well. Took a chance and paid with a 7 year old fish along with a 3 year old.
    Possible those little guys are hiding? Otos can be quite shy and I've gone long periods of time with seeing corys in a heavily planted tank. I feel with corys that the more hiding places there are the more they hide. Usually feeding time brings them out.

I loved having otos in my planted. They are cool little fish. I wish I could have some now but they are just a quick snack for my bichir lol
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is