AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eye injury

Default Eye injury

Hi guys quick question. Have been working long hours lately so haven't had a chance to closely monitor fish. Still have kept up on wcs but have not seen much of their behavior lately. I noticed that the past couple days my eruption has been dark and dorsal not fully extended. Wasn't sure the cause because sometimes she would lighten up to normal, eat, etc. Today I finally saw she has a small scrape on her eye.

My question is do I need to move to a hospital tank and Medicate or is large wcs enough? She obviously isn't feeling too hot due to the wound. She is mostly dark but again will sometimes lighten up.

Thanks for your time 627201721356.jpg
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Eye injury

How much water are you changing now...?

I'd really up it a few days if not move it.

Eyes are tricky. Anything coming from the wound ?

Ya was planning on doing xl dailies. Did 80% tonight. Nothing from wound. The eye obviously bothers her. Seems like when bad eye is towards the rear she is lighter but with bars. When eye is towards the front she darkens

Real Name
    Ricardo

Move the fish to QT, and keep up with the daily water changes. Make sure to take some colonized BB w/ you to the QT tank unless you are going to medicate. This does look like a bacterial infection however resulting from a scrape to the eye.

I had a discus that this happened with and it lost its vision in that eye. I did not treat the discus and I am not sure how you treat an actual eye damage, but clean water and maybe a small bit of salt may help.

If you are seeking meds advice, i'd ask Al or Rick, they are the ones I turn to WRT bacterial infections.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Move the fish to QT, and keep up with the daily water changes. Make sure to take some colonized BB w/ you to the QT tank unless you are going to medicate. This does look like a bacterial infection however resulting from a scrape to the eye.

I had a discus that this happened with and it lost its vision in that eye. I did not treat the discus and I am not sure how you treat an actual eye damage, but clean water and maybe a small bit of salt may help.

If you are seeking meds advice, i'd ask Al or Rick, they are the ones I turn to WRT bacterial infections.
    Thanks Rick. Appreciate it. Kenny suggested furan 2. This morning her color looks better and dorsal more erect but eye is the same

Real Name
    Phil

Did you move the fish or dose the entire display?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Did you move the fish or dose the entire display?
    Need to move her. Haven't had the time yet. It would take a boat load of furan 2 to do the whole tank

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Need to move her. Haven't had the time yet. It would take a boat load of furan 2 to do the whole tank
    yeah, you don't want to use Furan 2 in your main DT. Personally I have not had any success with Furan but know many who have.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com