AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding cories and GBR with discus

Real Name
    Scott

Default Adding cories and GBR with discus

I had my discus from Kenny for alittle over a month. They really packed on some weight and grew too! They smallest one is now close to 4 inches. I do daily 80-90% water changes since I got them and fees them 3-4 times a day. Unfortunately I dont have room for a quarantine tank so was wondering if I can add the new fish to the main tank and add paraguard?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Adding cories and GBR with discus

Of course you could, but you have to be aware of the risks associated with such a decision. There is always going to be a chance of cross contam...

Most here will tell you not to... we have all done it, some successfully, others not.

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Of course you could, but you have to be aware of the risks associated with such a decision. There is always going to be a chance of cross contam...

Most here will tell you not to... we have all done it, some successfully, others not.
    I have always did it in my non discus tanks and never had a problem. Are discus more susceptible to diseases than angels and rainbowfish?

Real Name
    Mike

There is no guarantee either way. Even when fish have been quarantined, they still could pass on something that didn't show up while in quarantine. A quarantine period gives you a better fighting chance and the opportunity to see the health of new arrivals. The difference is the initial financial investment that comes with the purchase and replacement costs of discus compared to angels and rainbow fish. Is it worth chancing? Petco has a $1 sale going on right now and there are plenty of places you could squeeze in a 10 or 20G tank. There is always a first time to have a problem and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want it to be with your discus from Kenny.

Real Name
    Scott

I was thinking about quarantining in a storage tote on the floor next to the bed. How long should a quarantine be?

Real Name
    Phil

That would work, most people qt 6-8 weeks. Where would you be getting the extras from, the source, etc? Would you medicate or treat new arrivals in any way?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Scott, it is not wise to add fish from another source to a show tank. This being said, many have done it and many still will. WIth your non discus tanks most would agree that its ok to just add new fish in with the group. Even thought this still isn't smart, most of those fish aren't as costly as discus fish. Its not that discus are more susceptible to diseases over your non discus fish, its just that they cost so much why risk it ya know? Corydoras are pretty good fish for not being carriers of diseases but GBR are definitely not the fish to risk it with. THis is a really good time in your fish keeping life up your game and get a qt tank. Plus its a dang good excuse to buy another tank. Why not get a small 20 gal long and throw a spare filter/heater in it and viola you have a qt tank...forever. now yes its a little harder than that. you need to keep in mind if you do this that you will either need to grab some bb from another tank (some would rule against this) or cycle your qt tank from ammonia before getting the corydoras/gbrs. Or you could go the 100% water change route and just change enough water every day that the ammonia level never gets to poisonous levels.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

Jacklyn and Phil, thanks for your input. I think I will go the storage tote route and use some BB from my discus tank. Can I add paraguard in the quarantine tote for precaution?

Real Name
    Phil

I mean you could... but why? What are you looking to achieve.

I think something like general cure may be a better med for incoming fish but I'm no expert

Real Name
    Scott

I think something like general cure may be a better med for incoming fish but I'm no expert
    Good question Phil, I've never quarantined fish before and would like to do it right and still have my discus be healthy!

Phil I consider you a discus expert however I am no expert in judging discus experts

I agree with master Phil though. You may have no issue but why risk your beautiful stock and financial investment there for a few bucks in corys

I can't remember the member here but she breeds and sells really nice sterbai. At least you would be starting with a trusted source that has not been cross contaminated at all in an lfs tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Scott

Ryan, I know I was looking for her. If anyone can help please let me know.

Real Name
    Mike

Real Name
    Scott

Thanks Mike, she said she is no longer breeding cories.

Real Name
    Mike

Bummer....Sterbai are one of the most active and personality filled bottom feeders there are. I've got BN plecos and ottos right now but sterbai are my favorite. Hard to find them locally sometimes. I had some in recent past but an unfortunate water change killed them... I hate using the tap....
    Last edited by White Worm; 07-29-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast