AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discushatchery vs Hans Discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: Discushatchery vs Hans Discus?

look at both,but buy all from the same breeder....mixing from multiple sources is a recipe for disease.Having lived in Baltimore for well over 20 years,and worked at some of the best fish stores there,I will say both are very well respected in the industry and proven,as evidenced by their longevity in the business.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Thank you for all the replies. I think everyone is right, no harm in checking both out and making a decision based on that. Just wanted to make sure one wasn't a known bad breeder/importer. Thanks again

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    look at both,but buy all from the same breeder....mixing from multiple sources is a recipe for disease.Having lived in Baltimore for well over 20 years,and worked at some of the best fish stores there,I will say both are very well respected in the industry and proven,as evidenced by their longevity in the business.
    Great, this was what I was hoping to hear. Cheers to another local

Registered Member

Was a local......moved to Atlanta about 8 months ago and it seems strange ordering my fish from my hometown to be sent here.

Had fish from gwynnbrook in the past and very good experience. Loved talking with owner. That was over 8 years ago though and website still hasn't changed which concerns me. The ol' man was awesome but unsure if he still runs things. Pretty sure him and Hans know one another well.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Geoff

I'm sure you know this but Hans is not a breeder only a supplier. So while I personally think he's fantastic and all my fish come from him, what you will be comparing is the local breeder (who seems to have wonderful stock)to Stendker who is one of Europes biggest and best breeders. Good luck, hope you visit both

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    I'm sure you know this but Hans is not a breeder only a supplier. So while I personally think he's fantastic and all my fish come from him, what you will be comparing is the local breeder (who seems to have wonderful stock)to Stendker who is one of Europes biggest and best breeders. Good luck, hope you visit both
    While you are mainly correct, he does also have many in house breeding pairs and fry that he sells from those breedings.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

I stand corrected Loosir! After visiting Hans facility (and purchasing his fish-very happy I did) he told me exactly what you did, he will prove pairs but never sells the fry, only STENDKER imports. Beautiful fish either way.

i took the bait, read that thread...mostly i'm just curious what Pat deleted.. ; )

but the advice to go to both sounds like the most objective solution. heck...going to fish places is fun anyway !

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i took the bait, read that thread...mostly i'm just curious what Pat deleted.. ; )

but the advice to go to both sounds like the most objective solution. heck...going to fish places is fun anyway !
    Mostly posts which were not first hand experience Jack.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I did not have a good experience with Hans, although I expect if I were close enough to visit his facility and hand pick my discus I would have been much more satisfied. I wouldn't recommend ordering from him online.
    I've experienced this myself from another top breeder/supplier. I'd recommend hand picking your fish over relying on the breeder name/reputation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12