ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fish room setup. Need advice

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Default Fish room setup. Need advice

Hello,
    I currently have 8 breeding pairs which I've acquired from a few different sources, ( uncle Sam's discus, Hans discus, Kenny's discus and Canadian aqua farms). I'm currently running each pair individual with their own filters but I setting up a fish room with a rack solely for my pairs. I have two thoughts on how to run the setup.
    1. Connecting 2 tanks per filter keeping each source together. Or
    2.connecting all the tanks together and run off one sump. I know this is the easiest and most energy efficient but I'm worried about cross contamination.

Please help provide some advice and if you have a good setup please post a pic 😊

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Fish room setup. Need advice

I would not put all discus on the same system. A heater and a sponge filter per their own tank. A central system is asking for trouble because if one gets something, you could have a total loss. You could set up a central drain and fill system for water changes that would make things simpler but the equipment and filtering should be individual.

Real Name
    Ralph

A central system should not scare you off. It works for some and not so much for others.
    You can easily set it up with valves so you can isolate each tank if for treatment, temp, TDS etc.. if needed to. Just make sure you have seeded sponges on hand and extra heaters for this purpose.
    8 pairs is a lot of fry and needed grow-out space...something to really consider.
    If you've had the pairs for some time now and are healthy...I see no concern for all to be sharing the same water source.
    Good luck with your project.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Thanks everyone that's some good points to think about.
    I've already setup my grow out system with 4 55 gallon setups all running on separate canister filters. I'm going to try the isolated system for a few months but I'm going to configure it to be able to change it over in a few months if I change my mind.

Keep posting if I love the advice.
    Thanks,
    Marc

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Are you saying that your grow out tanks are a total of 4 55's?? One pair needs 3 or 4 75's so for 8 pairs you really need about 25 or more 75's. Two good spawns of 200 fry will be all you can handle in the 55's and you would have to cull all remaining spawns till the first are gone which would be a minimum of 2 months if you sold them at 2".
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association