AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: AP prone to bloat?

Default AP prone to bloat?

Hi,

I have read that BD are prone to bloat. I have an AP who has had bloat twice in a month. I'm wondering since I've heard that signal-2017-08-01-200630.jpgthis strain is related to BD maybe they are more prone to bloat as well? I was really worried about him. Took 3 days of Epsom salt treatments to get him to pass it. As you can see, he was really backed up lol.

Thanks,

Mark

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: AP prone to bloat?

AP is descended from BD and can have the same issues with bloat. My AP has bloat issues and gigantic poops just like yours. It was worse when he was smaller (3.25-4") but now that he is bigger (4" +) it hasn't happened again.

Make sure that if there is leftover food after 20-30 siphon it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    AP is descended from BD and can have the same issues with bloat. My AP has bloat issues and gigantic poops just like yours. It was worse when he was smaller (3.25-4") but now that he is bigger (4" +) it hasn't happened again.

Make sure that if there is leftover food after 20-30 siphon it out.
    Thanks clawhammer!
    This is my smallest fish @ about 3" but he is a very aggressive eater! He basically rules the school right now lol

Real Name
    Eric

That is exactly how my AP is, the strongest most aggressive eater in my tank of 14. Not a good combo with the bloat risk, but the risk is worth it because they are great looking fish.

That is exactly how my AP is, the strongest most aggressive eater in my tank of 14. Not a good combo with the bloat risk, but the risk is worth it because they are great looking fish.
    I agree. He is my favorite fish ( as of today anyways....)��

Real Name
    Sean

Do you guys think it might be a good idea to do a 7 day Epsom salts treatment once a month for blue diamonds and related strains? Since the salt doesn't hurt the fish or stress them out I think it might be a good idea to use it prophylactically. I don't think you'd have any recurrences of bloat at the very least.

This is really interesting to me. My AP has such bad eyesight it is hard to get enough food in him. I have never had any issues with bloat since he is so thrilled to stumble across any food on the bottom he may find.

If yours do tend to over eat does the bloat occur with all types of food? My Eruption came down with it once and Kenny talked me through the treatment. He recommends soaking pellets to soften them before feeding to reduce the chance of further issues. Just a thought. Consider yourselves lucky yours can see well enough to eat.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    This is really interesting to me. My AP has such bad eyesight it is hard to get enough food in him. I have never had any issues with bloat since he is so thrilled to stumble across any food on the bottom he may find.

If yours do tend to over eat does the bloat occur with all types of food? My Eruption came down with it once and Kenny talked me through the treatment. He recommends soaking pellets to soften them before feeding to reduce the chance of further issues. Just a thought. Consider yourselves lucky yours can see well enough to eat.
    Kenny advised me about presoaking too... Also, he said sticking cubes of FDBW to the glass can cause bloat. I do presoak the pellets in garlic guard and vita-chem now, although I still stick the cubes to the glass since my tank has an overflow and floating food is not an option for me.

Kenny advised me about presoaking too... Also, he said sticking cubes of FDBW to the glass can cause bloat. I do presoak the pellets in garlic guard and vita-chem now, although I still stick the cubes to the glass since my tank has an overflow and floating food is not an option for me.
    I can see that. They rip and it swallow some major chunks at times.

I'm sure it's easy to cause bloat with pellets. I always have a hard time gauging how much pellet food to feed. It seems like so few pellets but full bellies pretty quickly
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

It's def the fdbw done that caused my to bloat. I stick the cube to the glass and they go to town on it. I think I prob should start breaking the cubes up. Don't want to deal with bloat 2x a month... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    Do you guys think it might be a good idea to do a 7 day Epsom salts treatment once a month for blue diamonds and related strains? Since the salt doesn't hurt the fish or stress them out I think it might be a good idea to use it prophylactically. I don't think you'd have any recurrences of bloat at the very least.
    I know that Epsom salt is relatively harmless but I think that if you constantly are speeding up the fish's digestive process it could cause some issues in the future? Kinda like taking laxatives 7 days straight... lol...Just my opinion.