AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PraziPro expiration

Real Name
    Sean

Default PraziPro expiration

I saw this on another forum and I thought it was interesting information because I always thought the shelf life was five years.

thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of
    our products. Provided the product has not been in direct sunlight,
    high-heat or excessive humidity and has not frozen, it basically has no
    shelf life and would be fine to use.
    The Hikari Customer Service Team

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: PraziPro expiration

This is promising news Sean .
    I recently had doubt about using a 6-7 YO pure praziquantel powder on my discus for minor gill flukes infestation.
    When I decided to use it the odour was still the same and discus lost a bit of appetite during the treat , which is also a ussuall practise whenever ive used it in the past.
    The smell and the loss of appetite led me to believe that the powder is still potent and effective .
    I cut with the treatment after a couple of days though , because I still grow my discus and I wasn't happy with the idea of them having low appetites during the exhausting 21 days gill fluke treatment.

Real Name
    Sean

I would just like to add that Hikari can go to hell after the experience I've had over the past few days. Under the impression that using a bottle of prazipro from 09' was safe, I dosed two of my tanks that had displayed some symptoms. The following morning the fish in the tank on the right looked like absolute hell. It was fairly obvious that they had suffered some kind of poisoning so that day I did two 90% water changes. I've the next few days a few of the fish look like their going to make a full recovery but yesterday I lost an 8 inch fire Red and a 6 inch silver pigeonblood. Currently there are two blue diamonds, a silver pigeonblood, and a fire Red that are hanging on. The fire Red looks the best out of the group but still hasn't resumed eating yet. All I can say is I wish I had just spent the $15 on a new bottle.

Real Name
    Filip

I feel with your bitter experience Sean .
    I have found my self in similar situations through the years , when wanting to save some money on meds I have killed expensive discus .
    I've read that most of the drugs , just loose their potency after the expiratuon date , while some others can become dangerous after their expiration . I guess your med. unfortunately falls down to this second category of meds .

Heads up buddy , and try to look on this just as a new experience that will only make you smarter and stronger in the hobby .

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I feel with your bitter experience Sean .
    I have found my self in similar situations through the years , when wanting to save some money on meds I have killed expensive discus .
    I've read that most of the drugs , just loose their potency after the expiratuon date , while some others can become dangerous after their expiration . I guess your med. unfortunately falls down to this second category of meds .

Heads up buddy , and try to look on this just as a new experience that will only make you smarter and stronger in the hobby .
    Yeah man it is definitely a painful experience because one of the fish I lost was my biggest discus that I've ever raised and my 2nd favorite fish overall. It's gonna crush my mom when I tell her because she took care of the fish while I was gone for two months and really bonded with that one in particular. I know she's gonna blow up on me and blame me for killing him.