AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog and cat owners please read

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Dog and cat owners please read

Its hard to lose a close family animal and dogs and cats are really susceptible to many every day things we use other than food and they get into everything. I have a list of items/flowers/foods that are toxic to cats and that list has about 400 common things. We lost one to poisoning by lily's. The little prongs in the middle of the flower have poisonous dust on them. I bought the wife flowers and the cat was playing with them when we were weren't looking. The stuff gets on them and then they lick it. Stopped eating and was in liver failure when we went to the ER vet within a couple days. The wife is happy that roses are NOT on the list so she can still get flowers, however, baby's breath (usually comes with roses) IS. So plain roses with some green leaves it is.

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    I actually lost my apbt to an autoimmune reaction to vaccines. Had the adult booster for rabies, distemper, and parvo plus the vet decided to add lymes. 10 months later we gave up the fight as she ended up with encephalitis. We now space out the vaccines. Costs more but I no longer worry so much about vaccine reactions. We then almost lost our staffie to some sort of poisoning that was never determined. She almost went into organ failure, liver and kidneys both. Finally brought her from the brink with frozen yogurt of all things (she would neither eat nor drink at that stage). Unfortunately with dogs, they have a tendency to rapidly ingest anything they think smells good, whether or not it is good for them. I am sorry for your loss. It is amazing how these animals so quickly bury themselves in our hearts.
    For our dogs we usually go to either petco or another pets supply store to get their shots on special days when they have a vet visit the store. We save a ton of money that way with our two dogs. They're usually there for about two hours in the morning on the days that they do it. It costs us about $115 per dog compared to almost $400 per dog at the vet.
    Last edited by ssevasta; 08-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Condolences Ryan, losing a dog is terribly painful and to lose your buddy in this way has to be that much worse. Thanks for posting about this and letting us know about this risk, I am sure it isn't easy to talk about.

Real Name
    Amy

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for the information.

Thanks everyone.

It's astonishing to see the practices employed by these major dog food companies.

I was also extremely surprised to find that the huge variety of dog foods you see on the shelves are actually made by only a few different companies
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Ryan,
    I am really sorry to hear that..Sorry you guys lost your bud like that. I too am very disillusioned with commercial pet foods. Its hard to prove that they are the cause of alot of pet illnesses, but I do believe it. Particularly I am growing more and convinced that most cat foods are pure junk and the root cause of my cats current diabetes problems. Lets face it... Dogs and Cats share our physiology far more than they differ. Whats in their food is just as important as whats in ours though sometimes its also whats not in the food.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ryan,
    I am really sorry to hear that..Sorry you guys lost your bud like that. I too am very disillusioned with commercial pet foods. Its hard to prove that they are the cause of alot of pet illnesses, but I do believe it. Particularly I am growing more and convinced that most cat foods are pure junk and the root cause of my cats current diabetes problems. Lets face it... Dogs and Cats share our physiology far more than they differ. Whats in their food is just as important as whats in ours though sometimes its also whats not in the food.

al
    Exactly. Watching that documentary was very informative. We were already aware and how poor a lot of the foods were but really had no clue to the extent.

Thanks for the kind words Al

Real Name
    Sean

This might sound crazy to some but my first Shih Tzu Snuggles that I had for 14 years ate for the most part chicken and he had the most beautiful shiny and soft coat I've ever felt on a dog. You'd be surprised how much of an effect fresh food can have on us and our animals.

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    This might sound crazy to some but my first Shih Tzu Snuggles that I had for 14 years ate for the most part chicken and he had the most beautiful shiny and soft coat I've ever felt on a dog. You'd be surprised how much of an effect fresh food can have on us and our animals.
    Diet is very important to a dog's coat and skin. The protein source in many of these dry foods is derived from wheat gluten and things of that nature and not even meat. These foods are packed with carbs, grains and lots of preservatives. Some of them even list preservstices in the ingredients lost that are known to be harmful to both animals and humans.

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for your loss, as I lost my 7 year old Whippet to lung cancer last fall. I look forward to viewing Pet Fooled.

Meanwhile, here is a picture of my sister's recent purchase that you might appreciate;

Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Sorry for your loss, as I lost my 7 year old Whippet to lung cancer last fall. I look forward to viewing Pet Fooled.

Meanwhile, here is a picture of my sister's recent purchase that you might appreciate;

Lucy
    Thanks Craig. Cut pup. This is our first experience with a frenchie and are really enjoying it so far.711201783439.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan925; 08-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Registered Member

French bulldogs are pretty cool little dogs. With that said they can be one of the most expensive pets to own vet wise.
    Good luck and hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    French bulldogs are pretty cool little dogs. With that said they can be one of the most expensive pets to own vet wise.
    Good luck and hang in there.
    Ya we are well aware. The wife has done tons of research on the breed so we can provide the best care possible. He was a gift from my.parents to my son. We weren't ready to drop that kind of $ on a pup

Registered Member

Ryan it was not meant as a bash, please do not take it that way. I have know many that didn't have the problems associated with the breed. That was a very nice gift

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Ryan it was not meant as a bash, please do not take it that way. I have know many that didn't have the problems associated with the breed. That was a very nice gift
    Oh no didn't take it that way at all. Sorry may have come off as that way the way I worded it. Just meant that the wife has really been doing her homework.

No harm done

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast