AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus and nothing but

Registered Member

Default Discus and nothing but

I have been a hobbyist for 25 years . I have not kept everything freshwater but was addicted to Africans for years (I admit brutal)hehe. I have had reef tanks and fowlers but I have found the only fish that makes sense to me and makes my heart pound really fast. It is the discus.....nothing makes keeping fish more challenging and interesting but this fish. In my opinion.....just sharing . Thanks

Default Re: Discus and nothing but

Good luck. Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. Embrace the addiction lol
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Discus are not hard at all as long as you meet their needs. Make sure that you don't have a pH swing of .4 or more and make a WC system that is fast and you and the fish will both be happy..
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Very true and thank you for your words.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I agree. I've kept many fish and my hobby has evolved, with my tastes changing over the years. the discus never seem to get old, something about their personalities, their behaviour... I never grow tired of them. I think I've finally found my fav fish. I no longer crave more tanks and new fish species etc, because discus are so deeply satisfying to care for.

Registered Member

Yes for sure. We can all keep multiple tanks but the discus makes me stop and pause. "I need more 20 gallon tanks" Keeping fish is about this fish to me. At least to me .Cheers

Discus are an addition for sure. I have other tanks including tropical and reef but discus are my first love. I hope to always have them. You can see my tank from many areas of my home and I still catch myself caught in a trance while trying to get things done around the house.

They give back to my life ten fold of what work I put in. Even the work is fun. I never mind the maintenance routine. It gives me more time to enjoy them up close.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

I always say - Discus sre not difficult - just very demanding :-)

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by eros111 View Post
    I always say - Discus sre not difficult - just very demanding :-)
    I agree with this statement.

Registered Member

I haven't found discus too hard to keep, and I don't mind the maintenance. Thing is, they are Boring fish. Mine are active till 10 am then a short time at night feeding time. Besides those times, they spend ninety five per cent of the time in one place. Not much activity when the lights are on. And I dim them to control algae growth. The fish are big, healthy, they just don't do much. Probably fat and over fed and lazy. There have been times when I have thought it would be cooler to have a batch of koi angels and a more planted tank. Just do something you lazy slugs.

Registered Member

I haven't found discus too hard to keep, and I don't mind the maintenance. Thing is, they are Boring fish. Mine are active till 10 am then a short time at night feeding time. Besides those times, they spend ninety five per cent of the time in one place. They all have their spot. Not much activity when the lights are on. And I dim them to control algae growth. The fish are big, healthy, they just don't do much. Probably fat and over fed and lazy. There have been times when I have thought it would be cooler to have a batch of koi angels and a more planted tank. Just do something you lazy slugs.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    I haven't found discus too hard to keep, and I don't mind the maintenance. Thing is, they are Boring fish. Mine are active till 10 am then a short time at night feeding time. Besides those times, they spend ninety five per cent of the time in one place. They all have their spot. Not much activity when the lights are on. And I dim them to control algae growth. The fish are big, healthy, they just don't do much. Probably fat and over fed and lazy. There have been times when I have thought it would be cooler to have a batch of koi angels and a more planted tank. Just do something you lazy slugs.
    They are really beautiful. But I'll give you my opinion: a big part of the fascination in Discus keeping is the sense of accomplishment you receive. There's nothing like keeping a healthy batch of beautiful Discus and I think a big part of that is how much of ourselves we've invested throughout this process. It's also nice to come here to the forums, to like-minded people, knowing they've done the same thing.

I'm sitting on the fence myself right now. After four attempts at getting my 'perfect batch' together in one tank, due to the setbacks I've encountered along the way, I'm wondering if this is what I really want. I realize Discus keeping isn't for everyone.

Right now my Discus setup is about 60% of what I want it to be and I'm staying with this setup for a time, maybe a few months, I believe my goals will become clearer after I take some time like this.

EDIT: was just looking at Koi Angels, wow they are nice. Never really took too much notice of them before.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 08-18-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    They are really beautiful. But I'll give you my opinion: a big part of the fascination in Discus keeping is the sense of accomplishment you receive. There's nothing like keeping a healthy batch of beautiful Discus and I think a big part of that is how much of ourselves we've invested throughout this process. It's also nice to come here to the forums, to like-minded people, knowing they've done the same thing.

I'm sitting on the fence myself right now. After four attempts at getting my 'perfect batch' together in one tank, due to the setbacks I've encountered along the way, I'm wondering if this is what I really want. I realize Discus keeping isn't for everyone.

Right now my Discus setup is about 60% of what I want it to be and I'm staying with this setup for a time, maybe a few months, I believe my goals will become clearer after I take some time like this.

EDIT: was just looking at Koi Angels, wow they are nice. Never really took too much notice of them before.
    Hey Kenny, if you like koi angels, check out the koi at Angels Plus. http://www.angelsplus.com/FishKoiSelect.htm

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Hey Kenny, if you like koi angels, check out the koi at Angels Plus. http://www.angelsplus.com/FishKoiSelect.htm
    Steve, these are really nice, beautiful fish. Thanks for the link, I plan on doing some research on their care.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

After some reading I'm leaning toward a few initial opinions:

1. No freshwater aquarium can match a good Discus setup as far as the colors/beauty of the fish.
    2. Good quality Altums or perhaps Koi Angels can make a pretty nice setup, while requiring less attention.
    3. Angelfish may have more active personalities.

I'm thinking changing to an Angelfish setup will be in a way settling, but is a valid choice for some people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast