ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They wont eat Beefheart cubes..

Default They wont eat Beefheart cubes..

Discus are addicted to Al's freeze dried blackworms right off the bat and when i drop a cube of beefheart in they get scared and go to the other side of the tank!!.. Should I just forget about Beefheart?

Default Re: They wont eat Beefheart cubes..

Quote Originally Posted by Kev29 View Post
    Discus are addicted to Al's freeze dried blackworms right off the bat and when i drop a cube of beefheart in they get scared and go to the other side of the tank!!.. Should I just forget about Beefheart?
    All new foods take patience and persistence.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Agreed it takes time and patience. That being said if you're making your own mix fine but there are some commercially sold beef heart that my fish would not eat any way shape or form. Other homemade mixes they would eat like Piranhas. For me the omega one stuff is garbage. Ground up too fine melts into a dusty mulm fish would have anything to do with it

Real Name
    Eric

I use San Francisco Bay brand beefheart and I always thaw, rinse, and clean it before feeding. My fish go nuts for it

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

I also use San Francisco Bay brand beefheart and they go crazy for it and eat like Piranhas. lol

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I would keep trying.....Maybe try thawing it out in a small glass of water and break it up in little pieces with a spoon, and then pour it in.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I use San Francisco Bay brand beefheart and I always thaw, rinse, and clean it before feeding. My fish go nuts for it
    +1

I always fed the SF brand BH plus. Now that my fish are older I have switched to BH flake
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    What type of beef heart mix is that you guys are feeding that needs to be through a cycle of rinse and cleaning before feeding? Can't imagine myself into it. Been doing my own mix for years, no water, no filling additives and I know what my fish are eating.

IMG_20151024_211938.jpg

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Cool Re: They wont eat Beefheart cubes..

100fuegos
    What type of beef heart mix is that you guys are feeding that needs to be through a cycle of rinse and cleaning before feeding? Can't imagine myself into it. Been doing my own mix for years, no water, no filling additives and I know what my fish are eating.
    San Francisco Bay brand beefheart is just ground beefheart, nothing else is added. You can just toss it in if you want or thaw or thaw and rinse if you like. Some people complain there beafheart mix clouds there water so some people like to thaw and rinse the San Francisco Bay brand beefheart to get the blood out, if you know what I mean.

I like to thaw and rinse through a brine shrimp net when I'm not in a hurry.

Rick Mileski Sr
    Last edited by rickmiles; 08-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

San Francisco Bay brand is the best one that I've seen.

Real Name
    Eric

The reason I rinse San Fran Bay BH is to remove the blood and the "beefheart dust" from the cubes. I work really hard to keep my tank clean and no way am I dumping in blood and tiny meat particles when I can remove it by running the defrosted cubes under the faucet in a wire strainer for 30 seconds. After a good rinsing I find the beefheart is just as clean as anything else I feed, perhaps cleaner because the discus gobble down every single piece.

I use straight beef heart that I buy from a local breeder. Its nicely grounded, I occasionally add garlic guard to the mix while thawing, fish love it !

No luck guys... I don't know why but they are straight up afraid of any sort of thing not looking like a worm or noodle... I'm glad they're at least eating AL's fdbw but I'm sure their growth might not reach full potential at all without beefheart but I'm ok with that with my small 55 gallon tank anyways. I'm still debating if i should give up or not but it's not looking good.

Real Name
    Eric

Keep trying it's worth it, they will eventually eat the beef heart. Try feeding them the Beefheart for their first meal of the day when they are the most hungry.

Registered Member

You can raise big Discus without it. Why worry about it. I've raised huge Discus on pellets, live and freeze dried black worms, chopped earth and red worms and Chopped shrimp.
    So were they missing anything nope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast