ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: need help diagnosing this disease

Default need help diagnosing this disease

I've attached pics of one of my discus who has been sick for the last few weeks. The fish had previously been robust & had a healthy appetite, but since these white growths have appeared seems under distress and close to death at times. I suspect it is a viral disease as I've tried a cycle of Kanamycin treatments which didn't improve her condition. Has anyone seen this before? IMG_1474.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1479.jpg

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: need help diagnosing this disease

Please fill out this form in order to get the forum the info required to help.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

I think water quality is going to be at the root of this issue based on the pics, but tell us about your tank and water change regime, getting that right will be crucial to saving this guy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

That looks like HITH, hole in the head, if the white stuff dissipated and there is a pit left behind look up HITH

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    white protrusions, mostly around the head but also in other parts of the body. sometimes they disappear temporarily then come back. loss of appetite and head standing periodically. This started a few weeks ago and the fish is not getting better. other fish in the tank have shown signs of the disease but have fought it off and seem fine

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    white growths, loss of appetite, head standing, lethargy

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Kanamycine for 1 week

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    165 gallons set up for 5 years. I have several discus all about 3 years old, a gold severum, 4 angels, and several tetras

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    twice per week I change 60% of the water with fresh tap water, treat with prime in tank. also add some Epson salts (5 tbls)

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    5 years, not bare bottom, sandy gravel bottom 2 inches deep which gets vacuumed during each water change.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    no

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.
    water source is NYC tap water, treat with prime by adding in tank at beginning of water changes
    - temp __85___

- ph __6.7___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __no__

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water _no___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

not in several months

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

variety of frozen mysis shrimp, angels plus pellets, kens immune booster flake (for past few weeks), freeze dried blackworms, feed twice per day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them. already posted

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Your nitrate reading cannot be 0, either something is wrong with ur test kit and u need to get a new one or u need to shake and bang HARD the nitrate bottles to get a correct reading. White pimples on the body of the fish indicate a need for more water changes / better water quality / cleaner tank etc, but the white protrusions along the lateral line could still be HITH, check for pits after the white gunk dissipates

If you are seeing small white "protrusions " come and go those could be pimples indicating a water quality issue.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Mervin

Why are you adding epsom salts on a regular basis?If for not digestive issues;all you're doing is making your water harder,which is not needed or liked by discus.Does your substrate get cleaned often?From the pics it looks like water issues.In most cases this is the case with pimples/pus.

Real Name
    Filip

PP bath / dip or a salt bath/ dip may help with external pathogens . Increased overall water quality and big WCs are also a must to keep the pathogen level in the water at minimal .

Real Name
    Mervin

I would think sodium chloride would be better than magnesium sulfate for a dip/bath.

I upped the water changes to every other day and he has been on Metronizole for HITH treatment for 5 days.
    the white raised spots have greatly diminished, but he seems under great distress.
    I honestly don't think this fish is going to survive, but I'll keep trying.