AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Has anyone tried

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Has anyone tried

Using a 75 planted tank as both a breeding tank and grow out? After much discussion with my husband I am not allowed to add another tank so, now that I have a fertile pair, I'd like to try it. Only concern is though the pair share a strong bond, would they become a bit persnickety if they are the only two in a large tank?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Has anyone tried

You may want to lay out your plan and share your info so folks can help you.

Without knowing much ... planted, pairs, raising fry. Most are going to give you a big no!!

What happens when that planted 75 needs daily 100% water changes?
    What happens if they do hatch some fry and raise them. Then they want to breed again? Where do the other fry go. If you have. I other tanks ?

I agree with Philly... BUT, I still went ahead anyways and did similar but in a community tank. Same situation.... wife only allows one tank. So when you love discus but can have only one tank then eventually you get to that point where you want to do what others on here do (let them breed and raise fry) although you know that it's not the best practice. Please share if you do. You'll get some tough critics but IMO it helps educate. Shoot, I'll probably get a few shots at me for this response but I understand it... yet do encourage you to keep a thread on it if you do!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Mike

Tough to balance the ferts, CO2, etc with the needs of discus in a fully plated tank. I'm sure it can be done but one or the other (plants/discus) will draw the short straw.

Real Name
    Willie

I don't know of anyone on this forum that can spawn and raise fry in a planted tank. I know lots of people who have tried it and failed (including me).

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I think getting them to spawn isn't much of a problem but raising the fry would be I imagine. We have a hard enough time keeping water quality sufficient for juvies let alone fry
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I think getting them to spawn isn't much of a problem but raising the fry would be I imagine. We have a hard enough time keeping water quality sufficient for juvies let alone fry
    Yes... Agree. I did it and a few survived in community. I only did twice a week 65% water changes and they only made it to 4.5". If I were better at wc's, I'd say they could've gotten to 6"
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    You may want to lay out your plan and share your info so folks can help you.

Without knowing much ... planted, pairs, raising fry. Most are going to give you a big no!!

What happens when that planted 75 needs daily 100% water changes?
    What happens if they do hatch some fry and raise them. Then they want to breed again? Where do the other fry go. If you have. I other tanks ?
    This would be a one time deal simply to see if I can raise them. While I understand it isn't the norm, I'm not sure it is impossible either. Based on the tank volume, I am also not sure a 100% water change daily would be necessary. At this stage, I am just wondering if anyone has tried it and, if so, what the outcome was. My only concern is if the 2 proven fish would become aggressive to each other when they no longer have to bond so strongly to hold onto their territory. Once the fry reach a certain state, the parents would go back to the 125 with all the other discus. As I am very unconventional, based on what others do here, I may just post it under an experimental thread. Unfortunately, the pair didn't wait for me and spawned again yesterday. Last week, I came home from vacation to wrigglers who all promptly disappeared when they became free swimming. Now there are twice as many eggs. Already worked out how to get the 75 at exactly the same water parameters as the 125 discus tank so that isn't an issue. Just sick of watching eggs, and now fry, get picked off by my rose line barbs who unfortunately, would be impossible to catch in a decorated 125 so the next best thing would be moving the breeding pair and giving them an opportunity to raise a batch.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Tough to balance the ferts, CO2, etc with the needs of discus in a fully plated tank. I'm sure it can be done but one or the other (plants/discus) will draw the short straw.
    This is a low tech tank. No ferts, no CO2, no anything out of the ordinary weekly water change.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Yes... Agree. I did it and a few survived in community. I only did twice a week 65% water changes and they only made it to 4.5". If I were better at wc's, I'd say they could've gotten to 6"
    If I manage to get them to a size big enough to see potential coloring, the best could be moved into the 125 discus tank (only has 8 around 6 inches right now), then find homes for the rest. Probably with the local pet store.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    This is a low tech tank. No ferts, no CO2, no anything out of the ordinary weekly water change.
    Well, since you don't have a real planted tank... You could always set up an island-type theme which would give you the "planted look" and give fry a better chance at survival/growth like sanjay 21 did in this thread....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...25-gallon-tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Well, since you don't have a real planted tank... You could always set up an island-type theme which would give you the "planted look" and give fry a better chance at survival/growth like sanjay 21 did in this thread....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...25-gallon-tank.
    LOL