ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Hood Elliot (pastry)

Default Re: Welcome to the Hood Elliot (pastry)

The last post was of an old pair. These are pictures of the current pair. You can see the net divider I put in there. By tomorrow morning there should be free swimmers. Fingers crossed
    20181002_212923~2.jpg
    20181002_212932~2.jpg
    20181002_213048~2.jpg
    -Elliot

I introduced two pairs of apistogramma eunotus a few months ago and all of a sudden today I noticed one of the females where about a dozen and a half fry that have noticeably been in there much longer than I noticed. They are already little miniature versions of their parents. I'll try to get pictures but if I try with this phone then I guarantee the pictures will be horrible!
    -Elliot

Trying to get pics of the eunotus babies. They're now miniature versions of their parents. The damn bristlenose BNs also had another spawn. It's about time to catch one of the parents and remove them. I would love to see my favorite combination pairs of discus spawn and raise a few and see if you new Ember tetras appear. Regardless, I really do love how my tank always has something going on without me doing anything but simple water changes and a little vacuuming. Just like Vegas... whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas
    -Elliot

20191005_233919.jpg

My apistogramma eunotus are multiplying in my discus tank.
    -Elliot

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice one Elliot! Do they have big spawns?

Supposedly they lay up to 200 eggs but I was not able to see where they laid eggs. The first spawn I saw about two dozen free swimmers when the mom finally allowed them out of her hiding place. I have counted a dozen of the first spawn still alive in the tank but I'm sure there are more since my tank is full of plants and driftwood. A second spawn happened during the hurricane yet she still had three free swimmers that are still around that I could count. There might be a few more that I can't see.
    -Elliot

-Elliot

Not really the best pictures of the adults. The spawning female is actually in the very blurry picture underneath driftwood. She looks kind of dull but she is a beautiful yellow right now.
    -Elliot

Talk to us Elliot, tell us what you do, water changes, food, and everything else.

Jeanne

Jeanne, I am probably the worst discus keeper on here. I knowingly do not do enough water changes (70% twice a week), clean my canister often enough, hardly ever quarantine new fish, don't vacuum enough, don't age water,... yet I have multiple different types of fish multiplying and usually have to weed them out. My discus are not as big as BB hobbyists but I am a strong believer in the more water changes and the cleaner the water, the bigger and healthier discus will get.

That said, over time I have learned to still get decent growth out of them (6" average, 6.75 max, 5.5 min). Usually within the first year of having young discus I changed the water more frequently. Still not as much as I should though. Either way, I still love seeing all the different fish interact and multiply. I've even had a few pairs of discus raise little ones in the community tank because there is so much crap I have put in there for little ones to hide.

If ever interested, look at one of the threads I started a while back on Growing Discus in Planted Tank. It's long but brutally honest so that folks who don't have as much experience don't think they can consistently grow humongous discus and planted tanks. However, it does show what I think are some very cool things that happened over the course of that thread.
    Last edited by pastry; 10-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    -Elliot

Actually Elliot sometimes I think people get so techy, techy ,all the time in their tanks that it becomes a job and they lose touch with the hobby, it sounds like you're enjoying the hobby and you haven't yet made it a job ,so don't change what you're doing.

Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne

Few more pics. One of them has the mother who is very golden and at the bottom of the picture you can make out 2 of her little ones from the first spawn.
    20191006_133940.jpg

20191006_135406.jpg

20191006_135133.jpg
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Good morning, Elliot!

I really enjoyed this thread! I cannot believe you were able to manage a grow out in your community tank. What was the outcome to these fry? Any updates?

The apistogramma eunotus or discus?
    -Elliot

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    The apistogramma eunotus or discus?
    Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast