AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My First Discus Aquarium!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Default Re: My First Discus Aquarium!

I reduced temp to 28C, fed only twice daily by my grandmother and she was kind enough to do 4 water changes spaced evenly over the two weeks. Every second day she would also replace a filter sock for me.

Came back yesterday and fish were fine!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

IMG_20180102_203547.jpg

Just a quick pic of one of my discus. Turning into real beauties I believe.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Got myself 6 Electric Blue rams for the setup. Has helped quite a bit with skittishness so far and they eat the smaller food particles that the other discus do not.
    IMG_20180107_160635(1).jpg
    Added a pot for the discus too
    IMG_20180107_201816.jpg

And then just another photo for fun!
    IMG_20180108_203604.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

IMG_20180121_184141.jpg
    IMG_20180121_184223.jpg

Just some more pics.

Rams also layed eggs last night, but as expected all eggs were gone by this morning. Otherwise nothing to report really

Real Name
    Heidi

Very beautiful! I love the lights too. They bring out the blue on your discus.

Registered Member

Any updates of those lovely Discus?
    Regards,
    Tolga YAMAN

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Leandrah Warren

Hi Dane
    I see you are in SA, whereabouts did you get your Discus? I am in Durban and i was wondering if your contact sends them here? Please PM message me details. Its so hard finding decent Discus here. I have posted some pictures of my guys Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Things plodding along I guess. Really hasn't been a tough journey for my first time so far...touchwood. fish are not growing as quick as someone else who got from the same supplier, however I don't believe they are stunted so I'm still happy. Have two runts among the lot. One battles to get the food and rather swims into it so it's difficult to help it.

Some pics
    IMG_20180221_213522(1).jpg
    IMG_20180222_191934(1).jpg
    IMG_20180222_191858(1).jpg
    IMG_20180222_192237(1).jpg
    IMG_20180221_213405.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Leandrahwarren View Post
    Hi Dane
    I see you are in SA, whereabouts did you get your Discus? I am in Durban and i was wondering if your contact sends them here? Please PM message me details. Its so hard finding decent Discus here. I have posted some pictures of my guys Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPG
    Pm incoming

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

So all my discus are gone. Needed more time to concentrate on studies and needed cash for my new setup. We are getting a wild import next year and I need to begin setting up a tank for the fish. I want large water volume, huge sump and low stocking so water changes will be down to a minimum.

For now I have a ram tank. Got my electric blues and Dark Knight Rams in the meantime to look at
    IMG_20180421_173714(1).jpg
    IMG_20180421_173756(1).jpg
    IMG_20180421_155558(1).jpg
    IMG_20180421_173957(1).jpg

Real Name
    Rob

Hi Dane. That was a lovely tank. Shame you had to let the discus go. If you're looking for ideas on less water changes then read this thread below, and research "anoxic filter" on Google from Dr Novak. The thread shows a fair few examples of this type of filtration, that reduces water changes drastically. I'm just in the process of setting up my first discus tank, and definitely trying out the anoxic method. You don't need a huge sump either, nor a scrubber. Scrubbers are way more difficult to grow algae on anyway for fresh water. Great build on the tank.

Rob

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...one-tried-this

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dane Albrecht

Quote Originally Posted by lastflea View Post
    Hi Dane. That was a lovely tank. Shame you had to let the discus go. If you're looking for ideas on less water changes then read this thread below, and research "anoxic filter" on Google from Dr Novak. The thread shows a fair few examples of this type of filtration, that reduces water changes drastically. I'm just in the process of setting up my first discus tank, and definitely trying out the anoxic method. You don't need a huge sump either, nor a scrubber. Scrubbers are way more difficult to grow algae on anyway for fresh water. Great build on the tank.

Rob

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...one-tried-this
    I have been following that thread yes and would just like to see how others find it over the long term before I decide to go that route.

My algae scrubber worked quite well.

I was planning on getting some wilds but I don't think I'm going to be doing it as my studies are becoming quite a burden and don't want anything to jeopardize them.

I am definitely interested in creating one of these anoxic filters in the future though

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234