AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sand

Default Re: Sand

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    I'm a first time Discus keeper. lol I totally understand the concept that BB is easier but saying "gravel cannot be kept clean enough" just doesn't ring true. It's been kept clean enough for my Adult fish who are healthy and huge. I know of many other people who have substrate and they've grown out amazing Fish as well. I have a book on Discus by Dr. Herbert Axelrod and he writes " It is unimportant for rearing the fish whether we set up the tank as a "sanitary" one (without bottom covering) or as an " ornamental" one. " The key is clean water. You most certainly CAN have clean water with substrate IF you're willing to put in all of the extra effort to maintain it. I realize here in this forum BB are more popular but if we are to be honest about Discus Husbandry we should be including those who are successfully keeping Discus in tanks with substrates. BB isn't the only way.
    Again I didn't say it couldn't be done and I didn't say it had to be BB as I recommended a sand to the OP. The recommendations are to give a person the best chance at success. Obviously you have run into troubles during your process and that is what the recommendations are trying to avoid. Fortunately you were able to endure and end up with nice fish. You right water quality is of the utmost importance but substrate has a direct impact on that. Yes there are very successful discus keepers with planted tanks.

I had mine in a tank with black gravel also. Personally I was not happy with the appearance of my fish. I didn't like my fish being darker than they should be and the peppering of the PBs. Some may be but I was not. Changing to white sand made a night and day difference in the appearance of my fish. They all displayed full vibrant colors.

I am only speaking from personal experience and trying to give the best advice I can.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

I appreciate all the advice, it will be sand for me.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Again I didn't say it couldn't be done and I didn't say it had to be BB as I recommended a sand to the OP. The recommendations are to give a person the best chance at success. Obviously you have run into troubles during your process and that is what the recommendations are trying to avoid. Fortunately you were able to endure and end up with nice fish. You right water quality is of the utmost importance but substrate has a direct impact on that. Yes there are very successful discus keepers with planted tanks.

I had mine in a tank with black gravel also. Personally I was not happy with the appearance of my fish. I didn't like my fish being darker than they should be and the peppering of the PBs. Some may be but I was not. Changing to white sand made a night and day difference in the appearance of my fish. They all displayed full vibrant colors.

I am only speaking from personal experience and trying to give the best advice I can.
    I can appreciate your position but thought I should speak up when you made the statement that "gravel cannot be kept clean enough". If the end goal is big beautiful healthy Discus and Aquarists are getting those results with substrate then doesn't that make your statement false? Hope you can see my point. We all want the same thing here, and if there is more than one way to skin a cat shouldn't we share that info? I do agree with the peppering with dark backgrounds and gravel it's also true that our darker, deeper colored fish will appear more washed out with lighter environments. That's simply a matter of personal preference. As a side note, all the trouble my Fish endured were due to less than optimal quarantine practices and had zero to do with my substrate, but that's for another thread.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
    I appreciate all the advice, it will be sand for me.
    Good Luck and share pics.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Good Luck and share pics.
    Thank you, I will.

i used quickcrete sand/gravel mix. it needed a ton of rinsing, but was VERY cheap and i prefer the look of it over PFS. you can look at my tank in the tank journal section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...85#post1271385

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i used quickcrete sand/gravel mix. it needed a ton of rinsing, but was VERY cheap and i prefer the look of it over PFS. you can look at my tank in the tank journal section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...85#post1271385
    Thanks Jack, I like the look.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
    Thanks Jack, I like the look.
    +1
    Impressive!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

This sand is expensive but awesome: Estes Marine Sand (also known as Stoney River, Ultra Reef, and National Geographic)

I wish I had splurged and got it for all of my substrate instead of a mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    This sand is expensive but awesome: Estes Marine Sand (also known as Stoney River, Ultra Reef, and National Geographic)

I wish I had splurged and got it for all of my substrate instead of a mixture.
    Does that marine sand have any but impact on water params?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

Quartz silica white PFS sand , grain size 0.3-0.8 mm is most suitable for discus IMO , OP.
    Thinner and more compact the bottom layer is , less problems with bacterial counts and water quality issues you will have .
    Lighter the colour is , discus will camouflage with it and will appear brighter , regardless of the strain PBs or not.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Quartz silica white PFS sand , grain size 0.3-0.8 mm is most suitable for discus IMO , OP.
    Thinner and more compact the bottom layer is , less problems with bacterial counts and water quality issues you will have .
    Lighter the colour is , discus will camouflage with it and will appear brighter , regardless of the strain PBs or not.
    Thanks!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Does that marine sand have any but impact on water params?
    I believe the sand particles are individually coated so are inert. My pH is 7.2 in tank and aging barrel so I believe the coating is effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12