ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: help with sick fish

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default help with sick fish

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? The discus that I have had for three weeks from Kenny is swimming head down swaying back and forth

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). headstanding

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    none yet

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 75 just got them from Kenny three weeks ago 8 fish they range from 4-5.5 inches

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). everyday 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? have been running for 5 months bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. the pH is 7.5 7.6 age water 24 hrs I use tap water

8. Parameters and water source; tap water sight amount of nitrates ph 7.6 amm 0 nitrites 0

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph 7.7_____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___5-10_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___100_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. None

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. I feed the Al's blackworms , frozen bloodworms and beef heart flakes

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them. having problems with phone will send when i can it is a super pigeon discus

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: help with sick fish

Most likely damage to its swim bladder. It could have been spooked and darted into something or blockage. Best method I think is to put it in a separate tank with shallow water (enough to cover the discus if it were upright) to relieve pressure and treat with epsom salt. I'd start with 1 tbsp per 10g. CLEAN water and aerate.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

How long do I leave him in there Mike?

Real Name
    Mike

I would go 48 hours and if you don't see any improvement, you may want to move to antibiotics.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

ok thanks do i replace the water after a certain time or use the same water?

Real Name
    Mike

I would change 75% water daily and add back the salt.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Ok thank you Mike