ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on Discus Suitability

Registered Member

Default Deciding on Discus Suitability

Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum and to Discus in general, been in the hobby for the better part of a decade. I've always kept livebearers, tetras, dwarf cichlids, cories, etc. This is the first time I have seriously considered keeping Discus. I'm drawn obviously to their beauty as most are, but also to their complexity. The "King of the Aquarium" fascinates me and I am wondering if a recent opportunity at a new tank might be suitable for Discus.

I picked up a great deal on a 60 gallon tank and an FX6 filter. Added an Aquaclear 110 as a secondary and a Fluval E300 heater. Current stock include a school of Rummynose and Lemon Tetra's. Tank sits naturally at 80F as it is upstairs. I am aware that Discus require pristine water conditions and believe I am prepared to meet the challenge. I complete weekly 45% water changes on my 36 gallon and my 60 currently. Obviously Discus will require more and I am ready for that commitment.

From what I understand one of the more challenging aspects of keeping Discus are growing them out and keeping the water clean. So besides general suitablility for my set up, would it be recommended to grow the juvies out in a grow out tank? 90% water changes and four-eight feedings daily.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts. I always want to do things right and part of my attraction to Discus is just that. Let me know your thoughts!

Default Re: Deciding on Discus Suitability

Quote Originally Posted by B&FGuy21 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum and to Discus in general, been in the hobby for the better part of a decade. I've always kept livebearers, tetras, dwarf cichlids, cories, etc. This is the first time I have seriously considered keeping Discus. I'm drawn obviously to their beauty as most are, but also to their complexity. The "King of the Aquarium" fascinates me and I am wondering if a recent opportunity at a new tank might be suitable for Discus.

I picked up a great deal on a 60 gallon tank and an FX6 filter. Added an Aquaclear 110 as a secondary and a Fluval E300 heater. Current stock include a school of Rummynose and Lemon Tetra's. Tank sits naturally at 80F as it is upstairs. I am aware that Discus require pristine water conditions and believe I am prepared to meet the challenge. I complete weekly 45% water changes on my 36 gallon and my 60 currently. Obviously Discus will require more and I am ready for that commitment.

From what I understand one of the more challenging aspects of keeping Discus are growing them out and keeping the water clean. So besides general suitablility for my set up, would it be recommended to grow the juvies out in a grow out tank? 90% water changes and four-eight feedings daily.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts. I always want to do things right and part of my attraction to Discus is just that. Let me know your thoughts!
    It all depends on your goals. What size fish do you plan to start with ?is your goal to grow out a group of juvies? Are you just looking to have a nice discus tank and start with a little bit bigger fish? When you day growout are you talking a 2" growout or 3"-4"?

They do require pristine water but they are not as hard to keep as it may seem. If you are commited to doing daily or possibly every other day, depending on stocking and sizes then you should have no issue
    Last edited by Ryan925; 08-12-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place for information, support and even some unexpected entertainment- right Ryan? .

I am thinking you have visited the beginner's thread. If you haven't seen this video yet I highly recommend taking the time to view it. It really gives you a great understanding about discus and caring for them. It is worth every minute.

Continue your research, ask lots of questions. Give those beauties clean, stable water and good food. Another thing I always tell the new people is to go to the journal section and start one of your own. I never did and wish I had. They are fun to add to as your tank evolves and look back on. Ryan has an amazing one. I am sure he will continue to answer your technical questions as you shoot them at him.

Enjoy and post lots of pics.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place for information, support and even some unexpected entertainment- right Ryan? .

I am thinking you have visited the beginner's thread. If you haven't seen this video yet I highly recommend taking the time to view it. It really gives you a great understanding about discus and caring for them. It is worth every minute.

Continue your research, ask lots of questions. Give those beauties clean, stable water and good food. Another thing I always tell the new people is to go to the journal section and start one of your own. I never did and wish I had. They are fun to add to as your tank evolves and look back on. Ryan has an amazing one. I am sure he will continue to answer your technical questions as you shoot them at him.

Enjoy and post lots of pics.
    Hey thanks I just hope I can save people the trouble of what I had to go through. Doing things right from the start makes thing go so much smoother.

I'm the guy that learns the hard way. Well thanks to the forum was able to make the proper changes before it was too late

Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Glad to have found a forum dedicated to these fish and their well being, from my browsing seems like a great and supportive community.

Im thinking I will want to grow out a couple of juvies to around 4-5" to add to the tank. From what I've seen online and at my local fish stores most Discus that are within the $35-50 range are around 2". While it would be nice to add a group of larger, grown out fish their price tag is a little hefty- and it would take away the experience of growing them, which I am interested in. What do you think, is this a decent purchase and grow out size? I know they are happier in groups so I was thinking perhaps five Discus? Or would six be better? As for the size of the growout, would you recommend a 29 or 40?

The current tank as I mentioned above is 60 gallons and I have a current stock of 15 Lemon Tetras and 10 Rummies, with hopes to add a school of Sterbai's. From my research these guys should have no problems handling the higher temps the Discus require. The tank is at 80F currently, as it sits upstairs and it gets warm up there; thanks to a bad air conditioner. So bad for me, good for the Discus. The tank does have a sand substrate, which I know is debatable with keeping Discus. However if I add them to the tank once they are grown out and feedings aren't so heavy, will the substrate be as much of an issue? I also have an Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Val, and Anubias with some driftwood and rocks. Lots of opening swimming space in the middle and right side. Parameter readings right now with my current stock are pH 7.6, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate negligible at 2-5ppm.

I have seen the beginners video, very helpful and informative! One of the reasons I was drawn to this forum actually is the sheer amount of information contained here. I love researching different topics and species of fish, even if I am not interested in them or unable to keep them. The more you know the better, regardless of species. I like the idea of starting a tank journal if and when I go the Discus route. It would be cool to see pictures of its evolution and their growth and development.

Real Name
    Mervin

Welcome!Why so much filtration?An AC110 will be all that would be needed for a 60 gal.The FX6 is way too big for a small tank.(Bottom line)If you keep the substrate,other fish and plants,I would not go with anything under 4.5-5 inch discus.

Registered Member

Thank you, glad to be here. The FX6 actually came with the tank. Got a less than one year old used setup for $200. The AC110 was an Amazon Prime Day purchase for $40.

So for the growout you're recommending growing until they reach that 4.5-5". For a growout tank should I consider the 40 gallon? And you're thinking my current stocking plan would be sufficient?

Registered Member

IMG_2415.jpg

Photo of the tank in question.

Oh yeah... you will really need to thin out or remove the substrate for discus even after they are grown out. The thick substrate will trap a lot of stuff that will be impossible to keep clean. You will be surprised how much junk gets trapped under the rocks as well. It is a beautiful set up though and can be adapted very well for discus IMO.

A group of 5 or 6 would do well. Any less and you would most likely have some aggression issues.

Also, I am not saying you shouldn't have any sand but for someone new to discus it will save you a lot of headaches to thin it down to just cover the bottom. You will do well in the grow out with completely going bare bottom. I keep my adults in a BB with just a large piece of driftwood with some plants growing on it. It's just my personal preference since I know I like the maintenance to be as easy as possible. I know my limits in patience.

You will do great with your previous knowledge of fish keeping in general and you have a fantastic attitude and curiosity. I have only been here a year and have learned a lot but I am constantly learning new things here.

Check out Ryan's journal. Like he said it will be a help for someone to not make the same mistakes many of us do when just starting out. I have made many of the same ones only I didn't have the journal to document it all!

Enjoy the forum and the journey!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Glad to have found a forum dedicated to these fish and their well being, from my browsing seems like a great and supportive community.

Im thinking I will want to grow out a couple of juvies to around 4-5" to add to the tank. From what I've seen online and at my local fish stores most Discus that are within the $35-50 range are around 2". While it would be nice to add a group of larger, grown out fish their price tag is a little hefty- and it would take away the experience of growing them, which I am interested in. What do you think, is this a decent purchase and grow out size? I know they are happier in groups so I was thinking perhaps five Discus? Or would six be better? As for the size of the growout, would you recommend a 29 or 40?

The current tank as I mentioned above is 60 gallons and I have a current stock of 15 Lemon Tetras and 10 Rummies, with hopes to add a school of Sterbai's. From my research these guys should have no problems handling the higher temps the Discus require. The tank is at 80F currently, as it sits upstairs and it gets warm up there; thanks to a bad air conditioner. So bad for me, good for the Discus. The tank does have a sand substrate, which I know is debatable with keeping Discus. However if I add them to the tank once they are grown out and feedings aren't so heavy, will the substrate be as much of an issue? I also have an Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Val, and Anubias with some driftwood and rocks. Lots of opening swimming space in the middle and right side. Parameter readings right now with my current stock are pH 7.6, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate negligible at 2-5ppm.

I have seen the beginners video, very helpful and informative! One of the reasons I was drawn to this forum actually is the sheer amount of information contained here. I love researching different topics and species of fish, even if I am not interested in them or unable to keep them. The more you know the better, regardless of species. I like the idea of starting a tank journal if and when I go the Discus route. It would be cool to see pictures of its evolution and their growth and development.
    +1 to what the others have suggested. Also I would not recommend LFS purchase. If you can purchase through one of the sponsors here. Purchasing through a trusted source will give you the best chance for success on your first try

Real Name
    Mervin

I have kept discus in a 40 gal.QT /hospital,but I would consider it a bit small for a grow out tank;just too many WC's.I would also make the group a bit bigger than 6 fish.My experience was when growing out discus one or two just didn't grow as well as the rest and may be culled.

Registered Member

I will definitely check out the journal and start one up if/when I take the plunge. It's great to learn from others and read about their experiences. Fish keeping is such a great hobby because there is always so much to learn and experiences to grow from. I watched the beginners video twice and was so impressed with his knowledge and clarity.

I understand about the sand. When initially setting up the tank I had no intentions of Discus but a SA/CA cichlid tank with an Electric Blue Acara, Rainbow, and Sajica. I have "caught the bug" though. I stopped by a LFS and took a look at their Discus. While they were pretty I think I could see some signs of nutritional deficiencies and stunting. Will definitely order from a vendor here at Simply Discus if and when it's time. I was talking with the owner and he said they get their Discus from suppliers in Singapore and can have issues with their orders. It was nice he was honest about his supply and stock.

So for the grow out, is a 40 Gallon too small or would I be able to pull it off? And am I correct in thinking a group of five-six would be alright in my tank set up? I see you say perhaps starting with a larger group in case potential culling needs to happen, but would I need to worry about that with ordering Discus from a vendor here on the forum?

Real Name
    Phil

Are you dead set on growing them...?

If not why not keep your current set up. Maybe thin the substrate a bit and get some large adults and enjoy that nice tank.

I know some people like the grow out process. I for one am not. Your call tho

Registered Member

I wouldn't say dead set, no. I am definitely interested in the grow out process but also leaning that way due to cost of adult fish. When you suggest buying larger adults to go straight rock the main tank, what size are you thinking?

Real Name
    Kevin

I wouldn't say dead set, no. I am definitely interested in the grow out process but also leaning that way due to cost of adult fish. When you suggest buying larger adults to go straight rock the main tank, what size are you thinking?
    I'd personally go with 4.5'' and up. There's a lot of sponsors on here that are currently offering some nice sized fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast