AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding on Discus Suitability

Default Re: Deciding on Discus Suitability

I really like that you are keeping an open mind and are very excepcting of the different opinions here. You may find this a lot since there are so many variables. There may not be much argument about having a thick substrate as most know that can lead to trouble. The size of your fish at purchase is completely personal. One thing I may point out is that you will not really be saving money by purchasing smaller fish. Sure the initial investment is smaller but once you add in the food, electricity, water, time and equipment you will break even if you are lucky. So it all comes down to do you really want the challenge of raising juvies or are you just trying to save money? Your answer to that question will guide you to you next step.

Being new to discus I didn't mind the leg up and looking back now the 3-4 inch fish seem small. But they were far past the stage of certain illness and were developing nice color.

Please post pics of what you decide on.....
    Last edited by Jenene; 08-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

my thoughts
    -i like how your tank is setup

-60 gal is too small
    -you can grow in planted tank, but it will be a PIA, i'd grow out in BB
    -if you are new to Discus, buy small and grow them out, its neat to see them change

you can look at what i did here: i did grow out in planted tank, i've done it before too, but its a PIA

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...85#post1271385

Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and very helpful replies, I really appreciate your guidance and advice. I think based upon all of this I am unfortunately going to wait out until I can get a larger tank and set it up specifically for Discus. I am thinking a 125 gallon would showcase them much better than my 60 gallon. Regretablly this will have to wait until we move into a larger house, which will hopefully happen next year some time. I will definitely be staying around the forum to continue to learn as much about Discus and their care as I can from all the experienced members here.

Good for you. Patience is a virtue. This is coming from someone who struggles with it.

You will be glad you waited and can keep researching and learning here. When you are ready you will not have to make the same mistakes many of us have made and your discus will thank you for it.

Keep hanging around and ask questions when you have them. Then keep us updated on your progress.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12