ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus laid eggs. What do I do?

Registered Member

Default Discus laid eggs. What do I do?

I recently had two discus pair and lay eggs in my 40 gallon community tank. Ive been reading different posts to get an understanding of what to do but There seems to be lots of opinions. Should I move them into their own tank to continue breeding? Will having the light off at night lead to eggs being eaten ? Any info on having these eggs survive and thrive would be most helpful!

Default Re: Discus laid eggs. What do I do?

If u want to breed then yes move them to a separate tank if not just let nature takes it course. I wouldnt worry about it until u actually get wrigglers

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
    If u want to breed then yes move them to a separate tank if not just let nature takes it course. I wouldnt worry about it until u actually get wrigglers
    Would putting a divider into the tank be any different then putting them in their own tank? Not sure my wife will allow me to have a 5th tank in the house

U can put a little wire mesh that u can buy over the eggs to prevent them from being eaten, u might want to check if your pair is actually a pair and not just 2 females.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
    U can put a little wire mesh that u can buy over the eggs to prevent them from being eaten, u might want to check if your pair is actually a pair and not just 2 females.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    I did have the luck and pleasure of observing them spawn. The first fish laid the eggs and right behind it was what I would assume is the male who look to be attempting to fertilize the eggs. So I am rather confident it is a male/female pair. I recently purchased a tank divider, which has not arrived yet, in an attempt to increase their spawning and keep other fish away from eggs.

The first set of eggs laid was eaten by what I believe is my male (blue turquoise) and they were white in color after several hours after being laid. I think it has to do with the hardness of the water in the tank. I am still awaiting on the arrival of a test kit for GH and KH, which is what I'm hoping is the culprit.

Would you still suggest a mesh or net to cover the eggs even with the tank being divided? Once the divider arrives I will make the half with the spawning pair bare bottom, and putting all white sides around it. Luckily I have a duel filtration system on this tank which will give each half of the tanks its own filtration.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    PH 6.6

This is a 40 gallon community tank (non planted) with 2 additional discus. The adult Blue Turquoise and Blue Diamond are my pair. I really want to see some wrigglers and eventually fry, with these 2 gorgeous fish I can only imagine what their babies will look like.

2 Blue Turquoise (one adult one 9-10 months)
    1 White Diamond
    1 Blue Diamond

Registered Member

I am almost 100% on that they are a male female pair. I notice my blue turquoise with a larger rounder breeding tube that is almost always poking out. The blue diamond when they are spawning you can see his breeding tube which is much smaller and pointier than the blue turquoise.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Carter Bing

Greetings,

My discus just laid eggs as well. My original plan, before this happened, was to move everyone to a larger tank but I don't think it has fully cycled. My question is should I rush the move or let things progress as planned?

https://youtu.be/LD8wYL1Gp6U
    Carter