ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Setting up water storage

Default Setting up water storage

water barrel 01.jpg

water barrel 02.jpg

Well, it's been a long time since I posted on Simply! We moved from Virginia to Maryland (gonna have to change my handle) (Al, can I do that without losing the link to all my previous posts?), smaller house, downsized. So I couldn't bring my 200 gallon water storage tank with me. I picked up two 55-gallon drums on eBay ($50) used by a fire chief for drinking water, and put them in the basement shower. Now, I have to plumb them.

I can tap into the shower head for supply, but I'll need to cut a larger hole in the top of one barrel for the float valve. And I'll need to connect the two barrels at the bottom so that they fill and drain simultaneously. Finally, I'll have to put a submersible pump in one of them to pump water up to my 150 gallon tank in the living room.

Any recommendations for connecting the barrels? For putting some type of hole and cover in the top of one, or both barrels?

-Don

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Smudge

Default Re: Setting up water storage

I connected mine with 22mm push fit connectors. I did 2 connections, the lower one with a right angle pipe in one barrel. I put the air supply in this pipe so that the water circulates between the two.

My old setup was exactly like yours. The barrels rested on a 2x4 platform, and they were connected from the bottom with Uniseals and PVC. You could also do it through the side and use a couple elbows inside the barrel to make sure the water is pulled within a 1/2" of the bottom. For the tops, I cut out the entire top with a reciprocating saw and traced along the outside edge. This left a bit of a lip for a lid (styrofoam and later greenhouse roofing) to rest on. Could also reuse the original top and zip-tie a dowel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGSmith View Post
    I connected mine with 22mm push fit connectors. I did 2 connections, the lower one with a right angle pipe in one barrel. I put the air supply in this pipe so that the water circulates between the two.
    That's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    My old setup was exactly like yours. The barrels rested on a 2x4 platform, and they were connected from the bottom with Uniseals and PVC. You could also do it through the side and use a couple elbows inside the barrel to make sure the water is pulled within a 1/2" of the bottom. For the tops, I cut out the entire top with a reciprocating saw and traced along the outside edge. This left a bit of a lip for a lid (styrofoam and later greenhouse roofing) to rest on. Could also reuse the original top and zip-tie a dowel to it.
    Not sure I get what you mean about tracing along the outside edge . . . but I definitely understand about using elbows facing down, but don't you get an air lock then?

Interesting idea about using the original top with a zip-tie, I'll consider that. Thanks.

The first minute of this video explains it better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz66eO79wBE.
    '
    Good point about the air. Not sure, but I'd assume the pressure of the water would force the water level to equalize.

Real Name
    Willie

Gonna have to be quick showers, Don!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

somewhere i saw people connect multiple barrels with large bulkheads.

i cut the tops off of mine, and didn't put it back on.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Don,

I just plumbed my 55's with 1'' UniSeals from bulk reef supply. Works fantastic, Uniseals conform to the rounded shape of the barrels. I have no issues with filling and draining they equalize at the same rate. I connected them about 3'' from the bottom. As for the tops, I cut out a square panel out and reconnected it with some stainless hinges as to make a little door to access the pump.

Picture is upside down f.y.i
    Attached Images Attached Images