AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mixing RO and Tap

Real Name
    Austin

Default Mixing RO and Tap

Curious about mixing RO and tap for breeding but if my RO water is a pH of 6.0 and my tap is 7.5ish and if i mix them together 50/50 i get a pH of 7.0ish won't the pH swing kill the fish if i add the mixture right before the spawn? How do you guys do it?

Registered Member

Default Re: Mixing RO and Tap

You could start with 75/25 and work to 50/50. I used calibrated electronic pH pen. Most of the time it showed pH of 7.0 because RO has equal amounts of nothing in most cases. This really was a false reading and as you start mixing you'll see different readings, but your hardness will be much less. In my experience i have not killed any Discus with that kind of drop. Go slow if your worried its not a race.

Real Name
    Austin

Thanks, so an immediate pH swing of about .5-1 would not hurt the fish? I'm just scared that the fish may die from a pH drop

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brotoss View Post
    Thanks, so an immediate pH swing of about .5-1 would not hurt the fish? I'm just scared that the fish may die from a pH drop
    Not in my experience. I have had bigger swings than that with not a problem. But with that being said my swings did have the same mineral content. Yours will be a swing with less mineral content.
    I think you should be good

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Not in my experience. I have had bigger swings than that with not a problem. But with that being said my swings did have the same mineral content. Yours will be a swing with less mineral content.
    I think you should be good
    Thanks!