AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best tank size to grow out 8-10 juvis?

Default Best tank size to grow out 8-10 juvis?

We plan to eventually have a 90 gal Discus/community/planted 'show' tank and as I become less ignorant in the ways of Discus I can see that optimally I probably want to setup 'grow' tank to grow the juvi Discus.

We plan to eventually stock about 6 Discus in the show tank so I _assume_ we would want 8-10 for the 'grow' tank?

With that being said, what would the recommended tank size be to 'grow' 8-10 discus? What if we wanted to start with only 6 in the 'grow' tank? I have seen recommendation for a 40 breeder tank for 6 juvi so would a 50 or 55 be ok for 8-10 or would we need to got to a 75 for 8-10?

Thanks.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Best tank size to grow out 8-10 juvis?

50 G BB with daily changes would be enough to raise 10 juvies to near adulthood I.e. 5 inch .
    If you start with 1-2 inch baby discus you can keep 10 of them in a 40 G for a first 2-3 months , till they reach 3- 4 inch mark.
    Dont forget thqt BB tank and daily changes are essential for optimal growth .

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    We plan to eventually have a 90 gal Discus/community/planted 'show' tank and as I become less ignorant in the ways of Discus I can see that optimally I probably want to setup 'grow' tank to grow the juvi Discus.

We plan to eventually stock about 6 Discus in the show tank so I _assume_ we would want 8-10 for the 'grow' tank?

With that being said, what would the recommended tank size be to 'grow' 8-10 discus? What if we wanted to start with only 6 in the 'grow' tank? I have seen recommendation for a 40 breeder tank for 6 juvi so would a 50 or 55 be ok for 8-10 or would we need to got to a 75 for 8-10?

Thanks.
    Check out my grow out journal in my signature and my blog. I grew out a large group in a 75g and sold them as they got older and eventually I ended up keeping only 8. This last group i raised I believe to be one of the best groups and I think it had to do with the large number of discus I started off with; 25

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I have 6 in a 55 and i could easily fit 3 or 4 more medium to large ones.