ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Beef heart

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Default Beef heart

I'm just curious why every one feeds beef heart. Doesn't seem like a natural diet for the Discus.

Default Re: Beef heart

To grow them large and quickly. Also for the people that have lots of fish it is very cheap if home made.

It's not about feeding them what they would eat in nature but high protein, nutritious foods
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Ok, I guess I don't understand the need to make them grow out so fast. Does it stunt their growth if you don't?

I have a mixed reef with SPS, I'm kind of use to things growing slow.
    Last edited by Surf&turf; 08-16-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

I'm not sure about their natural diet but for optimal (not maximal) growth of domestic discus, high protein diet is essential .
    Whether it is Beefheart or a FDBW , granulated or a flake food it has to be high in protein content .
    Beefheart is the cheapest option of them all , hence the popularity IMO .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I'm not sure about their natural diet but for optimal (not maximal) growth of domestic discus, high protein diet is essential .
    Whether it is Beefheart or a FDBW , granulated or a flake food it has to be high in protein content .
    Beefheart is the cheapest option of them all , hence the popularity IMO .
    Ok, thanks, do live black worms have to same nutritional value?

Real Name
    Filip

There are threads on the forum about the nutritional values of different foods and their comparison. If I find one I'll post the link here.
    As far as I remember FDWB is on the top of protein rich foods ranging approx. 80% protein content.
    I think that live black or blood worms falls behind FDWB because of their % of water content as opposed to dry weight .
    Other thing to consider is the source / seller of live blackworms because they can be often mix with live tubifex or contain pathogens if not maintained under proper conditions .

Forum owner Al Sabbeta, owns "Aquatic suppliers" and sales FDBW , so i hope he will chim in with some more info on this " LBW vs FDBW " subject .
    Last edited by Filip; 08-17-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
    Ok, thanks, do live black worms have to same nutritional value?
    Live black worms work good. Rinse them daily with clean cold non chlorinated water they will last weeks. I would buy 1/2lb from my guy once a month. I also fed high quality pellet, flake, chopped shrimp and red worms. The leeches that come along with live worms are easy to pick out or pour off during the rinse. They will not bother the fish

Real Name
    Eric

They mostly eat poop, algae, and small invertebrates in the wild. Good luck trying to replicate that in your tank.

In our tanks it is best to feed what has been proven over time to make for the healthiest discus in tanks.

Real Name
    Eric

Discus growth during the juvenile stage is very important for their long term appearance and health. It has been proven by experience that high protein (lean) foods during this period are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    They mostly eat poop, algae, and small invertebrates in the wild. Good luck trying to replicate that in your tank.

In our tanks it is best to feed what has been proven over time to make for the healthiest discus in tanks.
    Are you saying if I quite feeding them they will clean up all the poop in the tank for me?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post

Not trying to replicate, was just trying to understand the beef heart. Now I know. Thanks everyone.

Real Name
    Amy

I have one PB who loves zucchini. Go figure.
    And just started feeding Al's FDBW and they LOVE that stuff!