ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redoing my tank

Registered Member

Default Redoing my tank

Okay I think I want to redo my tank. I currently have gravel in my tank. What is the best way to do this.. put the discus in a bucket while I completely empty the tank and spray paint the bottom then add fresh water? Don't see this as being a quick think will the fish be okay in the bucket for the day. The new tank set up will end up being an unexpected cycled tank? What's the best advice I just bought a 55 gallon tank I will fill and use for my water changes with a pump.

Default Re: Redoing my tank

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Okay I think I want to redo my tank. I currently have gravel in my tank. What is the best way to do this.. put the discus in a bucket while I completely empty the tank and spray paint the bottom then add fresh water? Don't see this as being a quick think will the fish be okay in the bucket for the day. The new tank set up will end up being an unexpected cycled tank? What's the best advice I just bought a 55 gallon tank I will fill and use for my water changes with a pump.
    I removed all of my gravel last year. I lowered the water level. I pumped some of the water into a 30 gallon Rubbermaid tote with a heater and airstone. Then I removed all the gravel and cleaned the tank. I replaced gravel with sand. I filled tank and let run for several hours before adding fish back.

You will want to monitor levels daily to be sure you don't have a mini cycle and change water accordingly. I dosed stability just in case.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

If you just bought 55 G tank, why don't you just transfer them there along with your filters and heaters from this tank .
    That way you can take all the time you need for job to be done .
    Many discus in a small bucket for more than a day sounds risky to me , and your filter needs to be bypassed and running throughout the whole proces to preserve the nitrification bacteria .
    Last edited by Filip; 08-18-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    If you just bought 55 G tank, why don't you just transfer them there along with your filters and heaters from this tank .
    That way you can take all the time you need for job to be done .
    Many discus in a small bucket for more than a day sounds risky to me , and your filter needs to be bypassed and running throughout the whole proces to preserve the nitrification bacteria .
    Great idea

Registered Member

Sorry wasn't clear. The 55gal is a storage bin. A big plastic barrel. I plan to fill this with water and throw a heater in it. Will so 50 gallon water changes with it on my 90 gallon tank. I don't own an extra tank to put my fish in. I was thinking sand but isn't plain bottom better.

Sorry wasn't clear. The 55gal is a storage bin. A big plastic barrel. I plan to fill this with water and throw a heater in it. Will so 50 gallon water changes with it on my 90 gallon tank. I don't own an extra tank to put my fish in. I was thinking sand but isn't plain bottom better.
    You could use that storage bin to house your fish temporarily. Obviously the more volume of water in the better.

BB ie best for ease of maintenance but a thin layer of sabs is perfectly acceptable

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You could use that storage bin to house your fish temporarily. Obviously the more volume of water in the better.

BB ie best for ease of maintenance but a thin layer of sabs is perfectly acceptable
    Can't it's sealed.

Can't it's sealed.
    Then I would do a large Rubbermaid tote. Worked for me

Registered Member

So it's not a good idea to try and do this in one day?

Registered Member

I have 4 discus 4 inch 3.5 inch 2.5 and a 2 inch. I can buy a 10 gallons tank for 30$. Does this sound like a good idea

I don't see any problem doing it in one day. I did it in a few hours

Registered Member

Cool I'll just put them in the bucket till the tanks I get all the gravel out

Cool I'll just put them in the bucket till the tanks I get all the gravel out
    Ya if you are going bb should be quick process. Shouldn't tank more than an hour to remove gravel and clean tank and fill

Registered Member

Was planning to paint the bottom sand texture.. question if I decide to add sand later is is purchase pre cleaned so I can pour it in later.

Was planning to paint the bottom sand texture.. question if I decide to add sand later is is purchase pre cleaned so I can pour it in later.
    Always rinse it really well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast