AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: how often do you clean filters

Registered Member

Default how often do you clean filters

Im looking for some input on how often you guys clean your filters my tank has been up for about 2 months now its cycled but I was informed to leave it alone for the first few months for filtration I have a fx6 and and a aquaclear 110 on a 125 gallon tank I don't have discus yet have about 3 dozen cardnials in there and 2 plecos so I guess I have two question when should I do my first filter cleaning and second once tank is established how often do you clean your filters thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Connor

Default Re: how often do you clean filters

I set up my canister's first layer for mechanical media and the rest is biological.

Check inside the canister and if the mechanical media has a nice layer of detritus, poop, ect. then remove it and clean it up it in some tank water and replace it. I never mess with my biological media.

I clean my mechanical media monthly, but my tank is stocked with more fish. Your mileage may vary.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I have an AC, a single sponge and a double sponge filter in a 50 gallon with 6 wilds. I clean 1 of the filters every Monday on a rotating basis. So I guess the same filter gets cleaned once every 3 weeks. My water change is 40% every other day religiously. This includes wiping down the tank and heater. So far it works pretty good for me.

Silver Member

i have eheim canister filters on my tanks. i clean them all once a month, no matter if they still has a strong flow. i replace all secondary and polishing filter pads, rinse the course pads and bio media in tank water.

Cannister filter... Every 2 months. I think I'm supposed to do it a few times a month but... Have to be honest
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Cannister filter... Every 2 months. I think I'm supposed to do it a few times a month but... Have to be honest
    I agree I don't clean mine often but I do use a prefilter on intake. That gets cleaned every wc. I removed fine filter floss from my eheim pro4+ I take the coarse sponge and hose it off every month or two. I shake the trays in the canister water to remove loose debris. Rinse canister and reassemble
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I agree I don't clean mine often but I do use a prefilter on intake. That gets cleaned every wc. I removed fine filter floss from my eheim pro4+ I take the coarse sponge and hose it off every month or two. I shake the trays in the canister water to remove loose debris. Rinse canister and reassemble
    Yes on prefilter! I use poret foam inside. 2 deferment densities. No floss. Best tip ever received on here!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Filip

I use filter floss wrapped around my canister intake that I clean or replace daily / semidaily .
    I open my canister every 3-4 months but the amount of daily dirt and gunk on my filter-floss is bigger and messier than my whole canister gunk after 3-4 months of running, meaning if you keep your prefilters cleaned regularly there is barely any need to clean the inside of the canister 2-3 times a year.

I run a Fluval 406 on my 55gal with a prefilter (Eihiem) and have been monitoring things for the past few months rather closley as I am growing out juvis.

I squeeze out all sponges, rinse the purigen and bio media in tank water, and thats about it - oh and I clean the impeller and magnet.
    The first few months I cleaned them once a month, and they looked very clean inside, the sponges even looked new still, cleaned and replaced polishing floss anyways - I did not notice readings change from before to after.

This last time I let it go for 2 months, and it was much more dirty, still not nasty (like my FX6 on my Mbuna tank with no prefilter...lol) but was dirty enough I am glad I cleaned it. I noticed about 8-10ppm Nitrate rise every day before cleaning, and 3-4 per day over the last few days (just cleaned it this weekend) - so.... I would say every 1-4 months - depending on your stocking and feeding :P

Like Filip said above my prefilter sponge some days is worse than the sponges in the canister after 2 months and I clean that prefilter daily!

And get a prefilter!!
    Last edited by Bizarro252; 08-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    I run a Fluval 406 on my 55gal with a prefilter (Eihiem) and have been monitoring things for the past few months rather closley as I am growing out juvis.

I squeeze out all sponges, rinse the purigen and bio media in tank water, and thats about it - oh and I clean the impeller and magnet.
    The first few months I cleaned them once a month, and they looked very clean inside, the sponges even looked new still, cleaned and replaced polishing floss anyways - I did not notice readings change from before to after.

This last time I let it go for 2 months, and it was much more dirty, still not nasty (like my FX6 on my Mbuna tank with no prefilter...lol) but was dirty enough I am glad I cleaned it. I noticed about 8-10ppm Nitrate rise every day before cleaning, and 3-4 per day over the last few days (just cleaned it this weekend) - so.... I would say every 1-4 months - depending on your stocking and feeding :P

Like Filip said above my prefilter sponge some days is worse than the sponges in the canister after 2 months and I clean that prefilter daily!

And get a prefilter!!
    I put prefilters in top of my tank overflows which I change daily. I have two more prefilters at the entrance to my sump and I change these every two weeks. Only cleaned my sump once when a course of medication for my fish caused some sort of black fluffy material to build up in there.