ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank lighting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Default Tank lighting

I'm going to try and do a low tech planted tank. I have a T -5 dual lamp light fixture that can accommodate two 48 inch 54 watt bulbs. Can anyone recommend what type of bulbs I could use? Thanks for any advice.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Tank lighting

Following.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

What?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    What?
    Starting a new planted tank too, waiting on reply's.

Real Name
    Filip

I use 2 x T5 -HO -54 watt bulbs on my 65 Gallon tank and they grow plants pretty good . They also have reflectors in the fixture so I guess that adds additional 30% to their overall lumen output .
    I used 2 regular philips T5 HO -54 w bulbs , one 6500K and other 4000 K for better colours.
    Now I use one Sylvania T5 ho - 54 W Grolux (redish light) along with Phillips HO 54 W - 4000K (Yellowish light ).
    The effects on the plants are the same IME , with and without the Grolux plant light .

P.S You forgot to mention tank size and dimensions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I use 2 x T5 -HO -54 watt bulbs on my 65 Gallon tank and they grow plants pretty good . They also have reflectors in the fixture so I guess that adds additional 30% to their overall lumen output .
    I used 2 regular philips T5 HO -54 w bulbs , one 6500K and other 4000 K for better colours.
    Now I use one Sylvania T5 ho - 54 W Grolux (redish light) along with Phillips HO 54 W - 4000K (Yellowish light ).
    The effects on the plants are the same IME , with and without the Grolux plant light .

P.S You forgot to mention tank size and dimensions.
    It's a standard 90 gallon. 48 L x 18 W. Not sure of the depth. Was looking at a combination of Giesemann Super Flora and Tropic.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Thanks for all the great feedback. I got my eco complete today. Probably going to make my own decisions as far as lighting goes by doing my own research.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nikolay

it's a good choice of bulbs, and brand as well. but could be too much for low tech (algae). also flora and tropic IMO too green. i prefer to use two flora. i have 4 over part of my 135. 3 flora and 1 tropic. its hightech.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by nikolyator View Post
    but could be too much for low tech (algae). also flora and tropic IMO too green. i prefer to use two flora. i have 4 over part of my 135. 3 flora and 1 tropic. its hightech.

Here is a chart of lumens per gallon/ litter and categorisation of plants by their light demand from Tropica :

http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-you...success/light/

According to Tropica, 2 Giessman floras or Tropics (7000 lumens total) divided by 90 gallons gives off 20 lumens per liter , which allthough is the upper limit for low tech tanks , it still falls under " Low light " category .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Okay so if you were only able to use two bulbs what would you choose?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Okay so if you were only able to use two bulbs what would you choose?
    You are good for low tech with just too bulbs Steve .
    If you put reflectors above them , you can even try your self with some moderate plant types from the mid light plants group.
    Just choose whatever bulbs you think will make the colours of your discus and tank pop up .
    As I said before I didn't notice any difference in plant growth between my new 25 $ Sylvania Grolux Plant profesional plant bulb, and my old 3 $ cheap and commercial Philips T5-ho -6500K bulb .

My best combo right now , colorwise is the redish Sylvania grolux light along with Yellowish Phillips 4000 K light . It gives warm colours to my tank and to my orange PB and my brown discus .
    Last edited by Filip; 08-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Anyone use Blue + bulbs for plant growth?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nikolay

last few years people use PAR readings instead of lumens per gallons or watts per gallons. the tank could be low and wide, or tall and narrow with the same volume. in that case "per gallon" doesn't work.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by nikolyator View Post
    last few years people use PAR readings instead of lumens per gallons or watts per gallons. the tank could be low and wide, or tall and narrow with the same volume. in that case "per gallon" doesn't work.
    I agree that PAR and PUR are the most accurate parameters for measuring growth potential of a light source Nikolay .
    But in lack of expensive PAR meter units and in lack of declared PAR values on the commonly sold light bulbs, unfortunately "Lumens" and "lumen per gallon" are the only applicable parameters to guide from when estimating light in our tanks .

Registered Member

I would use LED chips now instead of T5 bulbs, there is also great calculator available: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1803323-post14.html