AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Carbon Dosing? - Is it possible in discus aquarium?

Real Name
    Zac

Default Carbon Dosing? - Is it possible in discus aquarium?

I currently have a saltwater aquarium and dose no3po4x in it with good success. I have read about how it works and assumed that because it relied partly on the protein skimmer that it would be useless on a freshwater aquarium. I recently learned that some water treatment plants use carbon dosing as a means of reducing nitrates and phosphates. So, I ask the question, has anyone attempted to use carbon dosing on a freshwater aquarium? If so, did you have any success? All input is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Carbon Dosing? - Is it possible in discus aquarium?

Many people dose seachem excel in low tech planted tanks
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Filip

The question would be , what would be your main goal for dosing it ?
    If its for filtering water along with protein skimmer I never heard of that being effective in freshwaters , so I personaly doubt that it would be any good for that purpose .

As for promoting plant growth , Yes it is used oftenly in planted tanks , as a second best alternative for carbon source for plants , after the presurrised co 2 gas.

Real Name
    Zac

Since protein skimming is not possible in freshwater, could it work to any extent with regular (Daily) filter floss replacements as a means of nutrient export? Just curious, some people have claimed that discus release hormones into the water the inhibits their growth, whilst some have tried using methods such as algae scrubbers and uv with no/ very little water changes to help their discus grow. I think that its generally accepted that bacteria inhibits growth, but what definitive factors inhibits their growth? Is their anything definitive or is it mostly speculation? What are peoples thoughts on what it is that inhibits growth when water changes are not consistent? Bacteria? PH? Nitrates? Hormones?

I assume that nitrates are likely not directly responsible for stunting, but rather, cause indirect consquences (such as higher bacterial activity in the water), would you say this is a fair assumption?

Thanks
    Zacchary

Real Name
    Filip

I don't kow if there are any extensive researches on this subject Zachary . But I personally do believe that your assumption about bacterial counts and pathogens in water being the most important for growth and wellbeing of discus , is correct .
    The only commercial breeder that ive heard of , who have manage to replace the waterchanges with complex filtration system is Piwowarski .
    His complex filtration system includes many stages of filtration and sterilization and there is some basic info about it on the net .

Real Name
    Zac

Ok, thanks. I would assume that bacterial count is not the ONLY limitation of discus growth, otherwise I would suspect that with a significantly oversized uv system, bacterial count will be low enough with minimal water changes. I shall research the company you have cited. Again, thanks for the info.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

It was my understanding that vodka or sugar dosing was to feed bacteria (which eat/consume nitrate/phosphate) which are then removed by the protein skimmer. I'm not sure but doubt that filter floss would be sufficiently fine to collect the bacteria that are growing.

That said I haven't tried it in a freshwater setting but would recommend ramping and tapering any carbon dosing you do to prevent a sudden bloom/collapse of bacteria that could foul the water.

Real Name
    Zac

It seems that they direct part of the water to be filtered into an osmosis filter. I would have thought that osmosis would have removed to many minerals from the water, but maybe its the de-ionisation that comes in an ro/di system thats the culprit. Has any hobbyist tried attatching a reverse osmosis system to their aquarium? I have never heard of osmosis being used as part of its filtration. any more input on this would be much appreciated.

You likely will have huge amounts of bacterial slime everywhere. In a reef tank, if you dose too much of a carbon source like, vinegar, vodka, or sugar, you will have sheets of the slime on everything. Increasing the amount of bacteria in a discus tank is usually a bad idea. The bacteria would clog and foul even a large micron sediment filter, so the RO filter wouldn't run but a few minutes at best. Water changes are the way to good water quality and healthy fish, no way around it.

-Leland

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    Increasing the amount of bacteria in a discus tank is usually a bad idea.

-Leland
    Good point. I think I can agree with this statement so maybe carbon dosing isnt such a great idea.