AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Stones

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Default Air Stones

I see a lot of tanks running air stones. Are they needed?

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Air Stones

Air stones are beneficial in supplying fresh O2 inside our glass boxes. Just like us when we inhale fresh air and exhaust bad air...our fishy friends need oxygenated water for that reason. Although some hobbyist don't use them but use filters that still break water surface which has the similar effect but air stones seems a lot quieter at surface break.
    Hope this was helpful.....

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

If you have enough surface agitation with your filter return it's not needed.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Thanks, I think the filter return plus the PH should be enough surface agitation.

Yes a power head is definitely adding air into the water but also keep in mind that discus do not like a lot of current
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    If you have enough surface agitation with your filter return it's not needed.
    + 1.I have never used them in a fish tank in my 45 years of keeping fish.

Real Name
    Willie

I find that large fish, not just discus, are livelier and eat better when there's more aeration. Even though aquarium books indicate that bubbling does not add appreciably more aeration, my experience in 40+ years of aquarium keeping suggests otherwise. I use sponge filters, so I slip air stones into all of them. Tanks larger than 75 gallons will get an powerhead with an airline. I don't see much difference in behavior with small fish, but 6" discus - actually all large cichlids - definitely seem happier with aeration.

Like others have said, they may not be needed. In my experience, large fish do better with them.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Yes a power head is definitely adding air into the water but also keep in mind that discus do not like a lot of current
    That is a bold statement. In my 2 75gal tanks i used 2 Rena xp3's and a koralia 850 gph power head. So conservatively speaking 1000gph water movement. My pairs and trio laid eggs 1 to 3 times a month and no fertilize problems what so ever. They didn't hide behind anything or try to get into corners above the circulation.

I have had Discus for many many years and not once had any negative affects from circulation.

So just a ballon statement that Discus "don't like" such and such current is far from reality. I have seen many videos of wild Discus in native habitat where you can plainly see very strong river current.

Run air stones, ALWAYS run air stones. I learned the hard way after a black out when my HOB didn't come back to life and my fish suffocated and died while I was away for four days. The stench of death could be detected from the other side of my apartment door. Lost all my best stuff in the 90 gal.

What does it cost to run an airstone and a pump, which is so beneficial anyway, compared to the potential consequences?

It's never easy to know if you're just at the tipping point if you're not running an airstone. Another example; my 29 gal. breeder with my first brood, beautiful. Threw in some of that Discus Essentials Mineral Formula snake oil crap in the pm before turning in, this was to help my fish, and found in the morning that half the brood had croaked and the parents were gasping at the surface, this crap had an air/oxygen depletion effect. Luckily I was able to save the parents and the rest of the brood with a quick water change.

Conclusion; ALWAYS run airstones!

Real Name
    Mike

Just make sure that your air pump has battery backup. If you lose power, all of the airstones in the world won't help unless your air pump has a battery. The point here is that surface movement is what oxygenates the water. Stones just make big bubbles into small bubbles so it is quieter when they break on the surface. I run sponge filters but not stones. I don't mind the larger bubbles and I think they create more surface agitation than small bubbles. I run canisters and sponges (air bubbles) on my tanks that have large fish or tanks that are overstocked. I also don't buy stock in the fact that discus don't like current.

Real Name
    Mervin

+ 1 for surface movement and making a greater surface area created from the ripples/bubbles.

Real Name
    Willie

The comment on current needs clarification. Obviously small discus, like any small fish, cannot handle big currents. My experience is that large discus love water movement, particularly strong movement from powerheads.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mike

I don't know, I have about 150 or so baby angels in a 55g with a canister cascade 1000 full open return and they just swoop on by during feedings and couldn't care less, lol. It really helps with the waste though. Bare-bottom tank and all of the waste collects in one spot at the far end away from the return.

Real Name
    Mervin

A power head would be almost useless in a fresh water tank if it is near the bottom of the tank and not near the surface and may create a torrent for those smaller fish.Water movement at the surface is important,especially in an over stocked tank.Oxygen does not come for filters,but instead uses the O2 for the BB.Canister filters are ideal for surface movement and the current in my tanks are not that great,even for small fish.The current is only at the surface.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    A power head would be almost useless in a fresh water tank if it is near the bottom of the tank and not near the surface and may create a torrent for those smaller fish.Water movement at the surface is important,especially in an over stocked tank.Oxygen does not come for filters,but instead uses the O2 for the BB.Canister filters are ideal for surface movement and the current in my tanks are not that great,even for small fish.The current is only at the surface.
    I have a 1,500 GPH powerhead in my 265 gallon tank near the bottom of my tank and have it pointing slightly upwards. My overflows skim water from the surface and the powerhead ensures that there's no static water hanging near the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast