AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Need help please!

Real Name
    Scott

Default Need help please!

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE*

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Its been about 3 to 4 days. My leopard is the runt of the group and was battling fin rot. He was getting bullied around feeding time and on friday I forgot to turn my filter back on after a feeding for 12 hours.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills,*white/yellow/green poop, hiding,*headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus,*blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

he is dark, won't eat and hiding

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

teytracyline for fin rot

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

6 other discus in my 75 gallon. They are all 4.5" on up

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

70 to 90 % daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

[B]
    Been running 2 months and substrate is .5" sand/B]

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

dont need to age

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____83-84

- ph _____*6.8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____yes

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    no

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Als freeze dried black worms 3 times daily

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-27-2017 at*07:43 PM.Reason:*Added food question

08-08-2004,*12:09 AM#2

Carol_Roberts*

Registered MemberJoin DateCanyonville, Oregon

*Reisease Questionnaire - please complete

This is great! You can copy the above questionaire, paste it in your thread, fill in the blanks and anything other information you think we might need, then post ;D

Quick Navigation*Emergency Room*Top

«*Previous Thread*|*Next Thread*»

Posting Permissions

You*may*post new threadsYou*may*post repliesYou*may*post attachmentsYou*may*edit your posts*

BB code*is*OnSmilies*are*On[IMG]*code is*On[VIDEO]*code is*OnHTML code is*Off

Forum Rules

* * * -- vB4 Default Style* * * -- Default Mobile Style* * Contact Us*SimplyDiscus*Archive*Top

All times are GMT -4. The time now is*03:11 PM.

Powered by*vBulletin®*Version 4.2.2*
    Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.*
    Web Hosting

All rights reserved and copyrighted 2015, Simplydiscus LLC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Need help please!

Scott how is the fish this morning? Do you have a qt tank available for him? if so, you should remove the fish to a 100% bare bottom tank and start 100% water changes daily or twice daily. are you able to get more pictures?
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

Jacklyn unfortunately I do not. He is breathing rapidly but his gills are in sync, not fluctuating. I will try to get more pics. You think methaylne blue will work?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

no, and I do not think dumping chemicals into the tank is needed at this point. meth blue is a stressful treatment, and if only one of your 7 are showing signs I do not recommend using it. I DO recommend going out and purchasing a small tank even 10gal and setting it up as a qt tank today. get him in there and continue doing 100% water changes daily (this will avoid any worry of not having an established cycle) and continue with the tetracycline for its full course
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    no, and I do not think dumping chemicals into the tank is needed at this point. meth blue is a stressful treatment, and if only one of your 7 are showing signs I do not recommend using it. I DO recommend going out and purchasing a small tank even 10gal and setting it up as a qt tank today. get him in there and continue doing 100% water changes daily (this will avoid any worry of not having an established cycle) and continue with the tetracycline for its full course
    Thanks Jacklyn! Do I continue trying to feed him?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

what is your plan here scott?? leave him in the main tank or are you getting him a qt tank?
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

I think I'm going to go the hospital tank route. I got a 15 gallon tote that I used before to transfer fish. I am planning on using the sponge filter in the community tank because I have a fx6 on it too. Will I need a light or will the room light be ok?

Say if I didnt go the hospital tank route, couldn't I treat the whole tank?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

go the 15gal tote with sponge filter that is a much better plan, room light is plenty or put it near a window for natural light. THis is a much better idea than treating your whole tank. unless you see issues with other fish. technically you could treat the entire tank but in the end you may find that this is a fish that just needs to be culled, and if he dies it will be better for him to do it in the qt tank as so to not disrupt the ammonia in your main tank and possibly cause greater issues
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

Jacklyn,

I didn't put the fish in the quarantine tank yet. I planned on doing it tomorrow. The sick fish isnt hiding as much as he was. While the color does seem alittle better, he is still dark but not black like he was. He gets darker during water changes and when I am near the tank but is still not eating but hanging out with his buddies. What do you think?
    Last edited by ScottW; 08-28-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Does the fish look bloated at all? Even slightly? I just had a similar situation. My eruption was very dark and not eating. Sometimes lightened a bit but still showing dark bars. After taking with Kenny he told me to check for bloat. It wasn't very pronounced but she did have a slight bulge and after not eating for a couple weeks it obviously was bloat although not really pronounced. Speaking with Kenny he said bloat, at times, can be the toughest ailment to treat.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Scott

It doesnt appear to be bloated. It did have fin rot last week but thats totally gone now. He looked 70% better tonight as far as color, he was picking the algae off some driftwood. As soon as it saw me it swam in the corner and darkened up again.

Real Name
    Scott

The fish looks better and actually ate alittle but I noticed tonigjt there is something white coming out of the gills. Can it be gill flukes? What should I do?

Edit: he also has white poop. Should I pick up metro?
    Last edited by ScottW; 08-29-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

now we've got 3 symptoms and still in main tank with other fish??
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Scott

No hes out in qt tank now. I talked to Kenny he said its an internal parasite. He told me to turn heat up too 90 degrees and dose metro. The metro should be here on Friday.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

yay. good job Kenny probably knows best.
    ~JACKLYN~