ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Buying a discus pair, thoughts?

Real Name
    Zac

Default Buying a discus pair, thoughts?

I currently have a 3" marine aquarium with a few corals and fish. I love this tank, but would like a new challenge. I have limited space constraints, so unfortunately getting another tank is not an option. I figured that if i were to buy a pair, I could shut down my marine tank and keep them in their. Later, when I have the space, this will allow me the flexibility to explore breeding the discus. BTW, this will be my first time keeping discus. What are your thoughts? Would it be wise to spend that much money on my first discus? (They will be adults though so dont have to be so concerned with stunting and will hopefully be more forgiving in terms of water quality, not that I plan on skimping on the water changes, but just incase)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Buying a discus pair, thoughts?

A pair of discus is a nice idea, but u would want to get a really bonded pair who will do well together for an extended period... not just any old pair that was thrown in together and laid eggs a couple times. even then they could turn on each other if their mood changed and u might have to re-think stocking... something to keep in mind.

Registered Member TheRedSpotted's Avatar

depends if you are thinking about wild or hybrid

I really enjoy the attitude of my wild which have never spawn. Always swimming close to each other interested by finding a tree root to spawn hope they will keep this attitude.
    They were not sold as a pair but always together in wholesaler tank (it is a sign).
    Very elegant when swimming side to side healthy colors and no territorial fights.

Hybrid seem to be more aggressive and nervous.

Agree with Kyla don't go easily to 'proven pairs' which could be recent bounded...and become oody after a couple of attempts.

regards,

Real Name
    Zac

ok, maybe I could try raising 6 3" - 3.5" discus in my tank which is 40g (I'm Australian so use metric values, but will use imperial measurements for the sake of this forum). I know that 55g is generally recommended, but do you think they will turn out ok in a 40g? also, if I were to do this what sort of waterchange schedule would you reccomend for this tank? Would 60% every other day + 90% waterchange on weekends be enough? thnks.

Real Name
    Mike

You really need to stick to one thread and get all your advice/questions in one place. Even an established pair can get aggressive with each other after some time. You need to have space to separate/swap them out if they get injured. A pair is not a good starting place for a novice. Go with the young group.

Real Name
    Rob

Hi,
    Be careful when buying breeding pairs of discus. First of they are expensive. Just because they breed for someone else doesn't necessarily mean they will breed for you. Also- if you are buying a pair make sure you buy from a reputable source. Many people out there are selling proven pairs that are old or don't breed and they ask top dollar for them. Also- if you do get a pair that does breed you need to have extra grow out tanks.
    Lots to consider but it's definitely exciting.
    Good Luck!
    Rob