AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Real Name
    Zac

Default Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Hello simply discus members, I am considering buying 6 discus (maybe stendker? or possibly IP discus?) and have a 40g aquarium (I use metric normally, but will use imperial because I know that's what most on this forum use) and was wondering if that would be suitable? I know most recommend 55g minimum, but will they likely turn out ok in a 40g? I was considering purchasing 3" - 3.5" discus. If this tank is of a suitable size, would 80% waterchange every other day be sufficient? If not, maybe up to 90% 4-5 times a week? All input is appreciated.

Secondly, I know many use the python water change system. I personally have always been a bit paranoid about using such a system because of a fear of harming my fish from chlorine. I know this is probably a bit irrational, as they would only be exposed to chlorine for a short period of time if at all. Anyway, my question is this, with a python water change system I assume you add the water ager before adding the tap water through the python. (providing the tap water is good enough that it doesnt need aging) Would this be correct?

Also, in regards to the python, I have seen youtube videos of people who use both hot and cold water from their tap to get the desired temperature. Is this safe? I was just concerned about the heavy metals that could be present from a hot water system, particularly copper in the pipe and wondering if it would negatively impact the discus or if a decent water ager should remove those metals?

In terms of waterchanges, I would use a thick hose going directly outside to drain the tank and the pyhon system to fill it back up. Do you think this would be an effective method to minimise time required for waterchanges? Would half an hour be a reasonable estimate of time to do such a large waterchange with this system? Just trying to make sure I could fit it in with work and stuff like that. Any other suggestions to reduce the time taken for waterchanges?

Finally, I plan on feeding the discus frozen homemade beefheart mix 2 - 3 times a day and using an auto feeder, feed a pellet or flake maybe 2 times a day. Would this be a suitable feeding schedule?

Thanks in advanced for all the help, I appreciate it.

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

6 young discus would do fine in a 40g for a little bit but you will find it to be a challenge as they get older and larger. I would wait until you have what you need to accommodate the discus throughout there life. 55g would be ok but a 75g would be ideal. Take a look in the sponsor section here and many will send you pictures of the actual fish you are buying. 80% every other day would be fine. Some will preach 200% a day but you will know what is ideal by the way your discus act. Many use tap water for water changes and yes, you put the conditioner in before you put the new water in. Prime is a great water conditioner. However you can get the water from the source to the tank is up to you. You can only fill as fast as the faucet will supply water. You will be able to see how much time it takes you once you do it. The food sounds fine. Read a lot here in the sticky's because much of this basic info is in those threads. You really need to do your research before you jump in. I don't believe you are ready and this is not a cheap/easy hobby. You have to really know what you are doing and prepare before you take on discus.

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

thnks for the info. I think you have misunderstood what i had said about the tap though. I know that it is ok to use tap water for raising discus, i was just wondering if it was safe to use the hot water or wether it would have too many heavy metals. once again, thnks for your help.

If you haven't already done so, Zac, I believe it would helpful to give you a better understanding of discus' needs by viewing 'watch this video' - the second sticky in this beginner section - along with reading my beginner's guide - the last sticky here.

Best of luck to you !

Real Name
    Zac

thanks for the advice Paul. However i already have read both your guide and the watch this video (I have actually watched it a few times) and really enjoyed Als presentation. For the most part, I was looking for assurance that the waterchange and feeding schedule sounded reasonable. Also, I was a little unsure about the tank size as most threads say minimum 50 - 55g tank, however I have read some where the discus were grown out in a 40g. Thnks for the advice.

currently, I have no where to put another tank (Unfortunately) so I cannot buy a larger tank at this present time. However, I am likely going to be moving in the not too distant future. Even if I do not move in time for the discus, I can always pass them on to a new home and will have gained experience in raising discus for when I can get a larger/more tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    thnks for the info. I think you have misunderstood what i had said about the tap though. I know that it is ok to use tap water for raising discus, i was just wondering if it was safe to use the hot water or wether it would have too many heavy metals. once again, thnks for your help.
    Nothing wrong with using hot water
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Zac

Thankyou Ryan!

Real Name
    Zac

What do you think of these discus? They are quite cheap but there imported from forrest and chan.
    - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como...ale/1155616859

Are you close enough to pay them a visit and see them in person? All my fish are Forrest's via Kenny

Real Name
    Zac

No unfortunately. They are in perth which is the complete opposite side of Australia. It would be a bit of a drive to pay them a visit (-: (about 48hrs to perth according to google maps). I live in Bundaberg and there really isnt much thats decent around here. And I dont think theres any australian sponsors on simply discus. I think my options basically are limited to buying them online from Sydney Discus World, Living Reef Aquariums or ordering them in from my LFS. I got a quote from my lfs, it would be about $100 - $445 each for 5 - 9cm stendker or ip discus depending on size. I could order some stendker solid fire red 7cm from my lfs for about $200 - $250 each. Does anyone know if Rod still imports or breeds discus?

You should ask Joe "two utes." He is also in Australia and he has some amazing fish that he grew out

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Just joined and peddling your junk. Obviously affiliated with them.....
    He is gone and please report any similar posts.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zac

So, today I talked to a marine biologist and aquaculturist about what factors reduce fish growth. After telling him that many here suggested bacteria, he told me that bacteria doesnt inhibit fidh growth but rather dissolved organics do. I also talked to some other people about, read several forums and studys and came to my own conclusion as to what causes a reduction in the growth of discus.

A higher PH inhibits the discus's ability to produce a slime coat. The slime coat is crucial in protecting the fish from bacterial infection. This, in turn stresses the fish, increasing its blood cortisol level. Cortisol reduces growth in fish. So to compensate, discus keepers on this forum try to reduce bacteria as much as possible by performing large, frequent water changes. When it comes to many of the other fish keepers I have talked to, they use RO water with a lower PH with much success. There fish, would have a better slime coat and therefor could tolerate a bit more bacteria.

Anyone think this hypothesis is reasonable?
    Disagree? Please explain your thoughts. I really would like to know why doing frequent waterchanges is going to lead to the largest possible discus?
    Thnks
    Zac

From what I understand water changes also reduce pathogens that build up in the water as well as the products of bacterial break down. The pathogens and bacteria can enter the fish in ways other than through the skin such as cuts or ingesting them while feeding I would think. Thinking the slime coat would protect them completely is an interesting concept but remembering water enters their gills and digestive system puts a different spin on it IMO.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Zac

The slime coat protects against pathogens, bacteria also enters the gills of other fish and doesn't cause a reduction in growth. Don't know about digestive system, and yes, cuts can cause infection. could it be a combination of reduced slime coat and increased pathogens and bacteria that causes a problem for discus in tap water without regular water changes?
    Several people on this forum have claimed that bacteria somehow reduces growth in discus but no one has explained WHY bacteria would or could reduce growth in discus.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast