ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Part of the problem is that probably there is no single limiting factor to discus growth so probably there is no magic bullett single solution (except of course for what has been proven to work: good genes, good water and goid food -I am a newbie and will stick to this mantra). Probably we still have a limited understanding of the complex Amazonian ecosystem, the hydrodinamics of the tributaries, lakes and rivers alone are mind boggling, as are the changes between dry and wet season. Contrary to what is commonly said though these acidic waters are not devoid of bacteria, that (although marginally less abundant than the avarage for comparable waterways elsewhere) still form the "foundations" of the foodchain and without them there probably would be little life in the waterways of the amazon basin. Having said this probably these bacteria are adapted to the extreme water water parameters and less likely to "make themselves at home" inside the fish's body. But this is probably only one small aspect of the factors involved in affecting fish growth. Also we are talking about maximizing fish growth but I don't believe that in the Amazon all of the fry grow to dinner plate size. We are talking about obtaining totally artificial results by employing totally artificial methods so trying to emulate (part of) the conditions found in the original environment may not yeld the best results.

Default Re: Considering Discus - Help Me Get Into The Discus Game (Newbie Questions)

Paul, that makes the most sense of anything I have see as far as rationalization. Well said. Thank you for your effort there.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Zac

Ok, I will be moving house in a few weeks and therefore will have enough room for a larger tank. Now, I am pretty commited to getting discus. My aim will be to grow discus out as large as possible as quickly as I possibly can. I have read a lot of posts suggesting that a smaller tank allows the discus find food easier / less swimming room which therefor results in faster growth. However, wouldn't smaller tank also mean slightly lower water quality (a little less diluted)? Anyway, currently I own a 3' tank and planning to purchase a tank that will be 120cm * 45cm * 45cm (which I believe is a standard 55g tank for those that use imperial). If I were to buy discus that were 5 - 7 cm (2 - 2.5 inch), would it be better to keep them in the smaller 3' tank for a few months than move them to the 4' tank, or just put them in the 4' straight away? Everyones opinions are always appreciated.

Secondly, I plan on doing daily water changes of 50% (maybe bigger, depends what the waters like and if I have to age it), I understand that more food generally = faster growth. More food also = more pollution, and was wondering at what point would the pollution outway the benefits of more food? I know a definite answer is not possible as there are many variables at play here, but where do you think the growth of discus will plateau in terms of feedings? I will only be able to feed beefheart maybe 2 - 3 times a day consistently, maybe more on occasion. I am planning on having an auto feeder will pellets or flakes feeding them a couple of times a day, I would like input on how many times a day the auto feeder should feed them with my waterchange schedule to produce the largest discus?

I know that non of these questions have definitive answers and i am not looking for someone to dictate to me how to care for my discus, but I am investing a lot in these fish and would like to make sure i get it right the first time. I truly do appreciate and take into consideration your experience, advice and opinions, and ultimately, hope to join the others on this forum with their stunning discus and have some beautiful discus of my own.

Real Name
    Zac

Furthermore, I know I have asked this before but does anyone have advice on where to get discus in Australia? I dont think theres any sponsors over here and am a little stuck as to where I should purchase them. I know they are not a sponsor, but has anyone had experience with living reef aquariums or sydney discus world? Would you recommend buying from them? Alternatively my LFS could order in 7cm stendker discus or ip discus from aquarium industries. Aquarium industries is the only imported of stendker discus here in Australia, but I dont know what they are like, has anyone bought stendker discus in Australia? I do not want to end up with stunted discus. Anyone reccomend a local breeder? Feel a little left out here in Australia, doesnt seem to be a lot in terms of advice as to where to buy my discus. Also, the cost of purchasing 7cm fire red stendker discus will be about $200 - $250 each, which is a bit on the costly side for small discus. If I were to go with ip discus I could get some small discus for about $100 - $150, that seems alot cheaper, what would you reccomend? Anyone from Australia here that can help? Thnks again

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Furthermore, I know I have asked this before but does anyone have advice on where to get discus in Australia? I dont think theres any sponsors over here and am a little stuck as to where I should purchase them. I know they are not a sponsor, but has anyone had experience with living reef aquariums or sydney discus world? Would you recommend buying from them? Alternatively my LFS could order in 7cm stendker discus or ip discus from aquarium industries. Aquarium industries is the only imported of stendker discus here in Australia, but I dont know what they are like, has anyone bought stendker discus in Australia? I do not want to end up with stunted discus. Anyone reccomend a local breeder? Feel a little left out here in Australia, doesnt seem to be a lot in terms of advice as to where to buy my discus. Also, the cost of purchasing 7cm fire red stendker discus will be about $200 - $250 each, which is a bit on the costly side for small discus. If I were to go with ip discus I could get some small discus for about $100 - $150, that seems alot cheaper, what would you reccomend? Anyone from Australia here that can help? Thnks again
    Shoot PM to "two utes" and "Sayid" regarding this matter . They are members of our forum from Australia and Joe - "two utes" has some (Literally ) award winning discus . Maybe they can help you .

Real Name
    Zac

Thanks Filip, I have PM'd them. as to living reef aquariums discus, this is a advertisement they posted on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burl...ls-/1161084418, Do you think they are of decent quality? Based off of what I have seen from this forum, I would say that probably 3/4 look ok but some are stunted (big eyes), would anyone agree? Just don't trust myself to judge the quality of discus yet.

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks Filip, I have PM'd them. as to living reef aquariums discus, this is a advertisement they posted on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burl...ls-/1161084418, Do you think they are of decent quality? Based off of what I have seen from this forum, I would say that probably 3/4 look ok but some are stunted (big eyes), would anyone agree? Just don't trust myself to judge the quality of discus yet.
    They all loook good to me from pics 1 to 10 from the album Zac . No stunted or deformed discus IMO . Its normal for young discus to have bigger eyes and more pointed bodies than adults .

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They all loook good to me from pics 1 to 10 from the album Zac . No stunted or deformed discus IMO . Its normal for young discus to have bigger eyes and more pointed bodies than adults .
    Ok, thankyou. In that case I might buy the discus from them. once again thanks everyone for the advice.

Real Name
    Zac

I have asked about the Ocean free hydra before, but no one seems to have responded. I have not been able to find a lot of reviews on it, but the few that I can find have been very positive. I am considering giving it a try. I am still a little sceptical about it but we can only learn, who knows, maybe it will impress me.

Real Name
    Zac

Gold fish with discus? Thoughts? I know there have been some threads on this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_nXFvVos and the response was mostly negative. I think Al made a good point with goldfish being parasite smorgasbords, but if I were to guarantee all my fish were 100% parasite free, is there any real reason this wouldn't work? I understand some peoples concern with the temp differential between discus and goldfish but this is explained in the video. Besides that, in the summer goldfish up here would have to bear 30°+ temps anyway (unless you had a chiller, and i haven't met any locals with chillers on their goldfish tanks) and seem to do ok. I dont really see why they wouldn't reduce nutrients, as long as your not feeding more no more nutrients are going into the tank in the first place. However, some of the waste from the discus will be used to allow the goldfish to grow and hence nutrients that are removed from the system before they even break down. Anyone thoughts on what impact this would make?

Real Name
    Zac

One of the sources I am looking at buying tony tan discus from maintain a very low ph, of about 6.5. My tap water PH is close to 8. If I were to purchase fish there, would I be able to drip acclimate them to my tap water? I suspect that it would be to big of a difference to just drip acclimate them, but it would be good if I could. If I cant, how would you suggest going about adding them? Perhaps using RO water with a ph of 6.5 then slowly adding tap water to the ro over a period of a couple of weeks?

Real Name
    Filip

Zac , Goldfish won't feed on discus poop , theyll eat the food just like your discus . They are greedy eaters and they poop and create a lot of waste. The only benefit you might get from them is sand hoovering , but we ussualy do that anyway when we siphon the bottom during the water changes .

For introducing Tans discus i think tjat it would be good idea if you can lower your PH using RO water for the initial introduction .Than you can gradually raise it back to 8.0 during your next 2-3 water changes raising 0.5 Degree with each WC.

Real Name
    Zac

Ok, thanks Filip.

Real Name
    Zac

Would it be abolutely necessary to use RO water? I will buy an RO unit if I have to but would rather not as its quite a bit of money to spend just to use for a few waterchanges before I use plain tap. would peat in the filter work with normal tap? Just to acclimate the fish, not permanently. That way as the peat runs out the PH should slowly raise. Any other methods of acclimating? Just trying to minimise unnecessary costs as much as possible.

Thanks again
    Zac

Real Name
    Filip

Would it be abolutely necessary to use RO water? I will buy an RO unit if I have to but would rather not as its quite a bit of money to spend just to use for a few waterchanges before I use plain tap. would peat in the filter work with normal tap? Just to acclimate the fish, not permanently. That way as the peat runs out the PH should slowly raise. Any other methods of acclimating? Just trying to minimise unnecessary costs as much as possible.

Thanks again
    Zac
    No need to buy RO just for introduction Zac. I thought you already had one when you asked about lowering pH.
    I doubt that you can achieve lower and stable pH with just using peat , but go ahead and test it before your discus arrive . I ussualy do 100% WC 24 hours before the introduction.

And if you are buying your discus from a local supplier , they should be already adjusted to his water before they arrive in your tank.
    Its best to match your parameters with the supplier , rather than with tans water parameters .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast