discustoday.info     Aquatic foods

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New 90G Discus Setup

  1. #1
    Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    20
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

    Default New 90G Discus Setup

    90G tank, 30g sump
    3 Red Melons
    1 Blue Pigeon
    2 Blue Diamonds
    10 Cardinals
    5 Black Neons
    1 Peppermint Bristlenose
    1 soon to be re homed L168 Pleco
    Total water in system 430L
    W/C 50l per day
    then 50% per week







  2. #2
    Silver Member Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,791
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Phil

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Looks very nice... Most are going to tell you this so let me be the first. You aren't doing enough water changes and it may stunt the fish. How often are you feeding. Can you up your daily chnages or do some biger ones every other day?

    You still have small fish a substrate plants, etc. water quality is key right now to grow them right.

  3. #3
    Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    20
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Looks very nice... Most are going to tell you this so let me be the first. You aren't doing enough water changes and it may stunt the fish. How often are you feeding. Can you up your daily chnages or do some biger ones every other day?

    You still have small fish a substrate plants, etc. water quality is key right now to grow them right.
    100% correct and I completely understand. the first couple of weeks after putting them in I was doing 30 to 50% a day,,, then backed off and went to around 10 to 15% a day. I feed 3 times a day Bloodworm, Northfin Krill, Flakes, Tubifex freeze dried worm Beefheart 2 to 3 times a week.
    The substrate has been removed now to a very thin layer, 1cm, and the plants have been trimmed and put into sml pots. The tank gets cleaned daily and the prefilter pad in the sump gets changeed every other day. Nitrates 5ppm GH 5, Kh1, Ph 6.8 Temp 29c






    After re-scape and large water change,, water a bit cloudy.
    Will remove most of the remaining sand over the next couple of w/c's
    Last edited by Shaun's Discus; 09-03-2017 at 07:48 PM.

  4. #4
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,738
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    100% correct and I completely understand. the first couple of weeks after putting them in I was doing 30 to 50% a day,,, then backed off and went to around 10 to 15% a day. I feed 3 times a day Bloodworm, Northfin Krill, Flakes, Tubifex freeze dried worm Beefheart 2 to 3 times a week.
    The substrate has been removed now to a very thin layer, 1cm, and the plants have been trimmed and put into sml pots. The tank gets cleaned daily and the prefilter pad in the sump gets changeed every other day. Nitrates 5ppm GH 5, Kh1, Ph 6.8 Temp 29c






    After re-scape and large water change,, water a bit cloudy.
    Will remove most of the remaining sand over the next couple of w/c's
    Keep you eye our for mini cycle with that cloudy water after removing substrate
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  5. #5
    Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    20
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Quick update,,, all doing well, tank is basically bare bottom, doing 50% w/c per day atm, all feeding well, no issues, growth rate incredible apart from Blue Diamonds who are a little slower. They are all around 4 to 5" now but one of the blue diamonds is a tad football shaped and a larger eye, this guy will not develope like the rest. Will get some more pics up at some stage.

  6. #6
    Silver Member Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,791
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Phil

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Very cool glad to hear and good job with all the adjustments!

    Would love to see pics!

  7. #7
    Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    20
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Very cool glad to hear and good job with all the adjustments!

    Would love to see pics!
    Latest shots,,,, I have one stunt Blue Diamond,,, 5 out of the 6 are getting to 5" and bigger now,,, powerfeeds and 50 to 70% w/c a day,,, these guys have blown me away with their response to my care.



    Will get some better shots soon of the whole setup now.

  8. #8
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,738
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    Latest shots,,,, I have one stunt Blue Diamond,,, 5 out of the 6 are getting to 5" and bigger now,,, powerfeeds and 50 to 70% w/c a day,,, these guys have blown me away with their response to my care.



    Will get some better shots soon of the whole setup now.
    Don't count your runt out too soon. I had a couple fish that were significantly behind the rest. They now are two of the largest of my group
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  9. #9
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    108
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Sayid

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Hi Shaun and welcome to SD ,it is nice to see another Aussie on this forum , you mentioned your GH is 5 and KH is 1 which is different to my reading now we both have nearly the same water source ,i live in the south eastern suburb of Lysterfield and both my GH and KH are 0 .
    Lest see more photos.

  10. #10
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Orange, Ca
    Posts
    15
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

    Default Re: New 90G Discus Setup

    Hey Shaun, I love that pre-filter on you filter intake tube. That's a great idea!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

discustoday.info             AquaticSuppliers.com