AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccuring bacterial infections

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Default Reccuring bacterial infections

For about 2 years now I keep getting these bacterial infections. I never made a post because I always assumed I just wasn't cleaning enough. But I need some help. The fish will be healthy for a few months then it starts with a couple fish having clamped gills. Then one fish will get white white patchy areas that look like mildew. Separating the sick fish and treating with Furan 2 has worked well if I catch it soon enough. I use a water barrel for aging and it keeps getting dirty fast. It accumulates this weird slime on the hoses and sides of the holding tank. Before I was cleaning it every month with PP, then wiping everything off. That was not enough so for the past couple months I've been bleaching it every few weeks, then treating with dechlorinator and wipe down and flush out. But the other day after a wc I noticed I got cloudy water right out of the holding tank and I had bleached it less than 2 weeks earlier. And the fish had clamped gills. I bleached it again, the water was crystal clear and the clamped gills went away. So why does the holding tank get dirty so fast? How often should I be cleaning the holding tank? I have well water, I just did a diy bacteria test and it came up negative. I may still have it professionally tested.
    2. Symptoms: clamped gills then one fish will get white patchy sores that look like mildew. Excess body slime.
    3.medications/ treatments furan 2, 5 day treatment then one day off, then another 5 day treatment. Combined with 1 tbs salt per 10 gallons. In this case I think I added the sick fish back to the main tank too soon, now I have that one along with another in separate qt tanks going through same treatment again.
    4. Tank sizes and ages, numbers and sizes of fish: main tank is 75 us gallons with only 1 4" and one 5" fish that seem to be healthy for now. One 6" in 20 gallon qt and one 5" in a 15 gallon qt. (I plan on bringing the number back up to 6 or 7 in the main tank after this is figured out) also 3 rummy nose tetra(main tank) left from a group I bought a few years ago. They seem to be healthy
    5. Water change regime: originally %50-60 daily and clean filter sponge daily. Lately since they have been sick I've been %100 and wipe down tank daily and clean filter daily.
    6.how long has the tank been running? bare bottom? Substrate?: the tank is bare bottom and stays very clean, has been running for about 4 years.
    7. Do you age water, how long and what is the ph swing?
    I do, normally 24 hour, swing is about +.2, but with as much water as I've been changing, I have to refill and I only wait and hour or so for the second half of water. But I don't notice any micro bubbles.
    8. Water parameters and water source:
    Temp: 84
    Ph: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate:0
    100% well water
    Im considering switching back to 100% ro. I used it for my first year of discus and I didn't have these problems.
    9. Any new fish or plants added recently?: no
    10. Feeding: I feed I cube hikari bloodworms daily before the waterchange. When I had 7 fish I would feed 2 cubes per day.
    11. Pictures: I will try to get some pics up tonite or tomorrow of the one fish I have that's recovering from the sores.

When I first got the symptoms I sent pics to kenny of Kennys discus and he suggested bacterial infection and to use furan 2. It worked but they keep getting re infected. This is my 3rd or 4th outbreak. What can I do to avoid this in the future? Switch back to ro? More cleaning?
    Sorry for writing a novel, thank you for reading!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Reccuring bacterial infections

Do you have pictures of the white patches? Before looking at the water I would want to rule out the possibility these are secondary infections from an external protozoan parasite. Has this problem coincided with additions of new fish. Snails?

I've got well water and since there is never any chlorine in the ageing barrels, I have learned to be careful not to introduce any 'live' water from the tanks on equipment, or my hands, that might contain bacteria or protozoa. The barrels seem to need less frequent cleaning now, about every 6 months. That's one thing you can do although it might not solve the problem as it could be from the well itself, or the pipes. Older wells aren't lined or capped very well.

In my water barrels that jelly-like slime only collects on some types of plastic, the heater cords and air lines. When I look at it in the microscope I don't see anything that looks like bacteria. I think some harmless substance is collecting there, probably from static charge, although it does eventually become a substrate for microbes.

Usually the bacterial tests for well water are only testing for coliform bacteria, which can be harmful to people but not something to worry too much about with fish.

You might also consider shocking the well with bleach, as described here:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_m/M115/welcome.html

What I would do if this problem persists (and its not from a parasite) is set up a strong UV sterilizer on the incoming water line at the ageing barrel, with a 1/4 line and a throttling valve so that the rate of flow through the UV can be kept very slow. The flow would take maybe three hours to fill a 50-gallon barrel, with a float valve. This way all the water going in would be sterile, or as sterile as the UV can make it. I thought about doing this but there is so much nitrate I just switched to ro instead.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

This fish is mostly healed now so it may be hard to see. It has a very good appetite as well. The next fish doesn't show sores buy it is not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

DSC_0128.jpg
    Here is the top of my holding tank. Should I have this sealed, could that be letting in germs? I havent added any new fish in well over a year. No snails. All tankmates were quarantined for 6 weeks. But most died during the first couple treatments. So its just been the few tetras for the past year.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

And my well is pretty old. I think from the 50's, so I definitely will look into treating it, and I like the idea of adding uv sterilizer to the incoming water.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I'm not sure what to make of it, sounds like the skin is being irritated, possibly by a parasite, and the white patches would be secondary. I would do a skin scrape and look for flukes. Maybe flukes or another parasite are present in small numbers and when the fish become stressed there is a flare-up. External protozoa are much harder to identify, but could also cause those symptoms.

I just have a loose lid on the barrels to keep out dust and flying bugs. I think the type of bacteria that are attacking the fish are normally in the aquarium environment as opportunists and I wouldn't expect them to be entering the ageing barrel that way.

Not that its related but with well water its a good idea to check it for nitrate.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Thanks for taking the time to help DJW! I do have have a scope with a camera. I've never done a skin scrape but I would be willing to try it. I just want to mention that they don't "flash" or scratch on anything at all. If they had a external parasite I would think they would act more itchy but they never scratch. Should I still do a skin scrape? And the well water is 0 nitrates.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

The frustrating thing with diagnosis is you are always guessing at possibilities. Since you have a scope, it would help to either find parasites or discount them, allowing you to focus elsewhere. If you do a scrape, look for anything that moves.

I noticed you only mention blood worms for food. If that's all you feed, some variety is better - cover all the nutritional bases.

It has to be something in your incoming water. Can you swap to community water where you are? Can you get your well water tested? A UV filter won't help unless there's bacteria or parasites in your water. If the outbreaks are due to some heavy metals or chemical contamination, a UV won't help. Until you get the source of the problem figured out going with RO is a good idea. Good luck.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Phil

Have you ever treated the entire main tank?

Maybe you really problem is there and moving one fish helps said fish but not the system

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Ok, I did a skin scrape and I wasn't able to find anything. Im not able to switch to city water but I still have all my stuff for the ro filter so I think I should just switch to that. Then I can rule out water contamination if it continues. I will have it professionally tested since I use the well for drinking.
    I have treated the main tank in the past with pp, it worked for a while and came back. I recently treated the main tank with furan 2 but that was right before I added the sick fish back too soon and now I have 2 back in qt. Should I treat the main tank again?
    As for food, I used to make beefheart mix but it was so messy and I was afraid it was causing the outbreaks. I will try to go back to alternating with hikari discus bio gold, but they can be picky after being on worms for so long. Is there any other frozen food you would recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast