ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reccuring bacterial infections

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Reccuring bacterial infections

I agree switching back to ro is a good idea until you can sort it out. We put a ro filter in the kitchen that has a UV stage, not because I think there is something toxic, the water just tastes bad.

With antibiotics I prefer to treat just the fish that need it in a hospital tank, but in your case half the fish are in qt and the main tank is bare bottom... so whichever works best for you. There can be a setback to the filter and a small spike in ammonia. If the gills look irritated 2 tbsp/10 g salt would help.

Freeze dried blackworms is a good main staple IMO, along with frozen foods. I feed small amounts of frozen beefheart, not very much, it makes a mess if there some left over.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Ok thanks, Should add a uv stage or will the ro be enough? I think I will re treat the main tank after I have the water switched over.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Bacteria can't get through an ro membrane that is working right, so you don't need to add UV. Some kitchen ro filters are sold with UV but I thinks that's more of a backup.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Ok, thanks again for all the help. I'll report back when I have an update.

If you live in an area with decent rain fall you could also collect rain water.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Update: I still have one fish that has been in qt for a few months now. The orange fish from my original post died shortly after. I couldn't get it to eat. The fish I have in qt now has no visual problems and it eats but not like it should. It refuses pellet food, and when I feed frozen blood worms or freeze dried black worms it eats very slow and leaves food behind. I wonder if it has been treated too many times with the furan 2. (3 to 4 seperate treatments, maybe 30+ days total with that med)
    I'm now left with 2 healthy fish in the main tank, Ive still been afraid to get new fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Since the original post I've been using ro water to rule out water contamination or metals. I no longer have that excess slime build up on my aging tank since I started using it, and I haven't had any new infections. I'm just still dealing with the one fish that was sick before. I had my water tested for nitrate(0.21 mg/l) coliform(not present) and plate count bacteria (52 cfu/ml) all normal. I wonder what other tests I should have done? I need to get off of the ro water, It's producing too much waste water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kevin murray

Also I'm starting to wonder if a lot of this is result of the fish bullying and fighting. And Maybe I need to separate fish sooner. In that case would I qt the bully fish or the fish getting picked on most?

Registered Member

I don't know if anyone has a better opinion but I would qt the one getting picked on, If its getting picked on then its likely under stress and removing the bully could entice one of the others to bully.

I say that you should leave the small one in. In a group of young Discus there is always a low man on the totem pole. If you remove it another fish will become the low man. The smallest ones that remain healthy have a strong will to live. They earn their keep by acting as sacrificial lambs.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12