ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: DIY metal stand

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Default DIY metal stand

Hello, I am new here. Can someone advice me please. I have decided to make a 6 ft long tank and some smaller tanks. Now, I am planning for the stand. I was think making it out of 2 inch square metal tubes. Here is a model of the stand:

So, to all the engineers out there, will the stand be able to support the weight. it will be a 6ft tank, with 3 small tanks above it, a sump under it, and spare space for a future fry tank (maybe). Total load will be more than 1.2 tons, maybe 1.4 tons. Will the stand be able to hold??

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: DIY metal stand

The simple answer is it will work if your an experienced welder. Not liking the top support where the center 33g will be placed but again 2"x2" tubing should be sufficient if welded properly. I would also cushion tanks with Styrofoam sheets and not allow to sit directly on steel. There maybe slight imperfections not noticeable but will count for when tanks are full with water weight that styro will absorb.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Agree with Ralph on not sitting tanks directly on the iron. I would also think about much room top of tank to next iron section. Having plenty or maneuver arm room is pleasing. Just having "enough" room can be cumbersome after awhile. I like good solid plywood 3/4" BUT that or styro takes away from the minimum arm maneuver room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Yes yes, it is just a drawing. I will be placing plywood over the frames. Plus, the welding will be done by professional welders. My doubt was about the strenght of the structure. With everything, it might be over 1.5 tons. Also, for the top level tanks, is the middle support needed? I have removed the middle support because it will be in the middle of the larger tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    I would also think about much room top of tank to next iron section. Having plenty or maneuver arm room is pleasing. Just having "enough" room can be cumbersome after awhile.
    I can increse the gap, the total stucture is only about 6.5 ft. I can raise it to 7!

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep_Banik View Post
    is the middle support needed? I have removed the middle support because it will be in the middle of the larger tank.
    I always like to see tanks ends/corners sitting on vertical supports. You can get away without your center support middle rack. 2" metal square tubing will not bend with the weight you have on the top rack.
    Do didn't mention it but hope stand will be displayed on a structurally supported floor or even better in basement.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Do didn't mention it but hope stand will be displayed on a structurally supported floor or even better in basement.
    Yes, a setup this big in size will be on the ground floor. I have modified the plan by removing the middle support. As per water volume, the top rack will contain only 250 Ltrs of water, so I hope this will be okay.

Untitled2.jpg

Registered Member

Although I'm not an engineer, i wouldn't think the corner bracing would be needed. I would think all the rectangles the tanks would actually sit on would sit on the uprights and the uprights welded to the rectangle. The rectangle would be supported by the upright not welded to it. Still welded to it just not supported by the weld. Make sense?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    I would think all the rectangles the tanks would actually sit on would sit on the uprights and the uprights welded to the rectangle. The rectangle would be supported by the upright not welded to it.
    Yes, about that... Which plan do you suggest would work better? Plan A has solid stands all the way, but the load will be on the welds, and Plan B has solid bases resting on the stands, which is a little complex to make, but no loads on the welds.
    Untitled3.jpg

Registered Member

Plan B is what i was referring to.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rajdeep Banik

Ok, I will be going with plan A, since it will be easier to keep everything straight and square. I added some angle support with 2 inch square pipes at the joints (Yellow bars) to increase the strength. ryththg.jpg
    Thanks everyone!