ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help with knowing discus fish water changes

Registered Member

Default Help with knowing discus fish water changes

Hi I want to ask how many water changes should i do weakly for discus fish.also percentage of water changes for discus fish. I do not have discus fish but hoping to get some once I do my research. I am 10 years old.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Help with knowing discus fish water changes

Quote Originally Posted by discustip View Post
    Hi I want to ask how many water changes should i do weakly for discus fish.also percentage of water changes for discus fish. I do not have discus fish but hoping to get some once I do my research. I am 10 years old.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Will you have the assistance of your parents for water changes? Do you know what size discus you might get?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

The local fish stores carry 2.5 inch discus. I am sure that is what I would purchase. My mom is teaching me how to do water changes on my 30 gallon tank that is full of guppies and Molly's. I am hoping to take on the responsibility of water changes before we get discus, but my mom will always help me.

Real Name
    Mike

You should have your mom or dad log in here to Simply Discus and ask some questions. Discus are a challenging fish to work with if you are not experienced.

The local fish stores carry 2.5 inch discus. I am sure that is what I would purchase. My mom is teaching me how to do water changes on my 30 gallon tank that is full of guppies and Molly's. I am hoping to take on the responsibility of water changes before we get discus, but my mom will always help me.
    Getting fish in that size range requires much more work on your part than larger fish. You would be most likely looking at 50% daily wcs, maybe more
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

I might be able to special order a 5" discus.what would be the water changes on a 5" discus . I was wanting a brilliant turquoise discus or a brilliant red turquoise discus or a pigeon blood discus.

I might be able to special order a 5" discus.what would be the water changes on a 5" discus . I was wanting a brilliant turquoise discus or a brilliant red turquoise discus or a pigeon blood discus.
    Is your plan only a single discus?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Mervin

You will need at least 5-6 discus,more if possible,which cannot be kept in a 30 gal.One is not a good number for discus.Two can also lead to issues if not a pair.Three is almost always trouble.A breeding pair can be kept in the 30 gal. with no other fish would be better.50% or more WC daily or may get away with every other day depending on the feedings and what is fed in a 30 gal.for a pair.

Registered Member

Hello,

I started to keep aquariums when I was 12 (I'm 56 today). I was from the beginning interested in keeping special fishes, including discus. At that age, I didn't know much about water chemistry (I studied chemistry later), technology, biology etc. Of course, there was no internet end information flow was very limited. I made a lot of mistakes at the cost of fishes life and a lot of frustration for myself. I would like to give you an advice, up to you to consider. Take the time to grow in the hobby, don't force things and enjoy. Take the time to learn something about chemistry, technology and aquarium keeping, nutrition, filtration. At ten years, as clever as you might be, I suppose this is limited. Keep fish adapted to your tank and your level of experience, then you will have fun.