AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Will the tank hold?

Registered Member

Exclamation Will the tank hold?

I have a Oceanic Illuminata 57G rimless tank which I have had in my garage collecting dust for over 5 years. I recently decided to go back in to the aquarium hobby and pulled this bad boy out. Unfortunately someway somehow the tank now has a crack/chip most likely hit something or something hit it where the two glass pieces intersect. I really love this tank and would love to use it however anyone with experience on this what would you advise? would it hold? I already filled it up all the way outside on the grass for 3/4 hours and it held up fine no leakage however obviously this test can't compare to everyday usage.

Couple of additional questions too. Can it be fixed and if so how? Is there any filler that can be injected into the crack to harden the glass similar to how people fix windshields. Any advice is much appreciated fellas. I provided some picture so you guys can analyze the damage.
    I love this tank, but I love my house more.

By the way the crack/chip is not exterior and seems to be inside of the glass.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps1j2jds5o.jpg http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...psp69q9c1i.jpg http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...psuyosejzq.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Will the tank hold?

Pictures are a no go. You have been photobucketed.

Real Name
    Ralph

Welcome to Simply Discus mobileaddiction...there is no simple answer and may or may not hold long term. The glass has been compromised and no telling if a stress crack may develop down the road. I've had similar corner damages to smaller tanks without any issues e.g. 20g tanks that never leaked.
    Don't think any injected liquid fillers will add strength which is just cosmetic.
    There is another option to replace the glass pane and re-silicone.
    Your house being floodless seems to rule out the rest.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

tough call, but the chip doesn't come close enough to the seal. I'd use it.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

One of mine has had a similar chip low down for the last 2 years, even experienced a few pretty big earthquakes but still holding
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 09-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Real Name
    Rob

I had a similar chip in one of my 150 gal tanks. never had an issue. However, just to be on the safe side i did put some silicone on the outside around the chip.
    Good luck.
    Rob

I would not trust it. I have had tanks let go here and its not worth it. Theres videos on you tube of these tanks if you want a graphic illustration. Sell the tank on craigslist as a reptile or amphibian tank and get yourself a new tank..It also a good chance to consider upgrading to a bigger tank .. 75, 90, 125 gals make great tanks for adult discus.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I agree! The universe is trying to tell u its time for a larger tank