ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Poret foam question

Real Name
    Steve

Default Poret foam question

I recently separated two possible pairs in a 55 gallon tank with poret foam. If I ever manage to get fry from either pair, will the fry be ok with a poret foam divider?

Do I need to be concerned with the fry getting lost in the foam? Or fry die off from all the bacteria in a wall of foam?

Has any one had issues rearing fry in a tank with a poret foam divider?

Real Name
    Kevin

Default Re: Poret foam question

The fry may attach themselves to the poret after a while, especially if it is dark in color. You are also correct about bacteria growing on it, I've learned that bacteria can grow quickly and attach to anything in the tank which is deadly to fry. Have you thought about putting in a dividing wall made of frosted plexiglass instead? Home depot sells it in most stores.

I've used poret as a divider for pairs in the past with no issues. The fry will not "get lost" in the foam. Because it retains it's shape so well it makes an excellent divider. I also never had an issue with it housing a lot of harmful bacteria.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Larry. That's exactly what I was interested in. Someone who actually has experience with using poret foam and their results.

Anyone else out there who have had experience using poret foam dividers in their breeding tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    I've used poret as a divider for pairs in the past with no issues. The fry will not "get lost" in the foam. Because it retains it's shape so well it makes an excellent divider. I also never had an issue with it housing a lot of harmful bacteria.
    +1. Never had any issues.

Be sure it is 30 ppi, anything smaller and fry will get into the holes and lost inside the foam.