AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Made mistakes - how do i correct?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

Default Made mistakes - how do i correct?

Hello. I've been researching, reading & learning over the last 4 months about what it takes to keep discus. I've been slowly setting up my tanks and water change system, but have made some mistakes along the way. I'm sorry if this is lengthy, but I want to try to give as much information as I can.

I started off cycling a 55 gallon about 3/4 months ago, but my cycled stalled. I was doing a lot of trial and error on my water changing strategy, I think this is what caused my cycle to stall. I finally just got it restarted and it is in the process. I also just started cycling a 40 gallon breeder. I hope they will complete the cycle in the next couple of weeks. Any how, as I have continued to read and learn I decided I wanted to go with a bigger tank than the 55 gallon. (Mistake #1 - bought a tank too hastily). I want the discus I get to have the best start. So I was lucky enough to find a good deal on a 120 gallon this weekend. It will definitely be cleaned prior to use (I have some work cut out for me).

My plan for the 120 is BB with driftwood and to get 10 Stendker discus 4-5".

So, I currently have some tetras and cory cats in the 55 gallon, hopefully they will make it thru the cycling process (2nd mistake - I added fish too soon). When the cycle is finally complete in the 55, I plan on moving everything (fish, filter, etc.) over to the 120. My 1st question is how do I know that the 120 tank is safe for the discus? I've read about the QT process for a 6 week period and then adding one dither fish from main tank to QT tank to see if its safe. But I guess I'm dense... I still don't get how this will determine if the entire main tank is safe.

3rd mistake - For QT tank, I used the same hoses to add water to the QT as I did with the main tank. Question #2 - How big of a mistake did I make? Is there anything I can do to the QT tank aside from starting completely over with new sponge filter and hose system? I'm trying to avoid spending more $ for stupid mistakes I've made.

I'm trying to avoid any future mistakes, so any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!!

Registered Member

Default Re: Made mistakes - how do i correct?

Good deal on 129 thats awesome.
    You might want to provide more details on filtration, temp, water...

Real Name
    Mike

Good plan and good size tank for what you want to do. Just clean the 120 with bleach/water thoroughly and then do it again. You should be fine. Some even fill the tank and run all the equipment with bleach water so it kills everything in all the cracks and crevices. Let it air dry for 48 hours. Mistakes happen and many people use the same equipment. Its a good practice to use separate equipment for each tank so just continue to keep things separate. No big disaster. You could always clean the hoses and start fresh.

Real Name
    Willie

I don't think you've made any mistakes that presents a problem for discus. Wait until the first tank fully cycles, then move the filter into the new tank. Add water, dechlor and you're done. Raising discus is not like performing surgery. Unless you've had sick discus in these tank, you don't need to sterilize everything. Nothing will go bad if you do, but it doesn't solve anything.

At most, I'll clean out my tank with a good scrub down, fill and run with tap water (no dechlor) for a day or so. Then I add dechlor, a heater and the sponge filter, then add discus. I run 8 tanks, change water daily, with two sets of siphons. The same hose fills every tank. If a discus gets sick, move it immediately into quarantine. (Don't do anything until you set up a quarantine tank first.)

The most important thing you can do is change water every day and pump the Stendkers with good food.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

So, first off thanks for the replies.
    So I would prefer not to have to bleach out the filter and kill the beneficial bacteria that just developed to get the 120 going. As WILLIE stated, I would rather let the 55 finish cycling and then move the cycled filter to the 120. I guess my main worry is any fungus/parasites that the tetra/cory may have might transfer to the discus thru the filter media, but they have not showed any sign of illness. Is that a major worry to have? They won't be transferred to the 120 and I'm not sure what to do with them since this will be my only tank.

I have an Eheim Prof. 4+ filter w/ a pre-filter, along with Eheim heaters, & Eheim air pump. My temp is 85 degrees. Water parameter are fluctuating due to cycling. Will be doing water changes from the tap (temp matched) with filter floss & filter sock on the end to get rid of micro bubbles. PH from the tap is 7.9/8.0 and PH aged 24 hours with aeration is 7.8.